1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coverting 220/230 to 110?

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Dec 1, 2019.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I bought an Aprilia dealer sign that is wired for 220 or 230.

It's a metal sign and i think the lights are nothing more than 4' fluorescent tube lights that would be in overhead/hanging shop lights.

Do i need to take the sign apart and see what type of ballast it has, or is it ok to just simply rewire the plug?

I hardwired about 15, 4 bulb, 4' overhead fluorescent lights for 110 in the garage, and didn't think at the time to check the ballast or any other voltage/amp info on the ballast. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the past 10 yrs. :)

aprilia sign.jpg aprilia sign 1.jpg

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Probably safest to check out the ballast and see what it's spec's for, probably can handle 110-230v single phase for use in Europe or US, but can't tell without looking. I would doubt you need U.S. 2-phase 220v for a sign, but never know.

That plug have a spec (code) on it? Not that it's a for sure way since people can put whatever plug they want on something, but may offer a clue.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

I have a "modern" Texaco sign. I used the original switch and changed out the fixtures inside to take 110.. Used all of the existing holes etc.. It was really easy.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If you plug it in you’ll die. :D

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I say put a 110 plug on it, hook up the wire whichever way you think looks good, and see what happens.

Or you could be logical and check the ballast first.

6. gapman789

Nothing on the plug itself other than 'min cord dia .3".

It's 16 gauge/300 v wire.

The back panel is riveted on. The entire light structure is metal. I can't find any screws whatsoever except for the 2 top mounting bolts. The back panel is riveted on. I'm guessing those rivets are holding the lighting/ballasts structure onto the rear panel.

I've no idea how to get this thing apart other than with a whiz wheel.

From my youtube research, it seems like i can just redo the wiring at the on/off switch in my pic with a new 110 cord/plug.

I doubt that a dealer had this wired for 220/230.

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

8. gapman789

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Set up multiple angles of video when you plug it in. Of both you and the sign.

10. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

That looks like a 20A/125V plug. Commonly used in hospitals. Not a 220/240V plug. You should be fine with a typical 110/120V plug

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No

That’s a NEMA 6-20 plug.

beac83 and malamute like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

XFBO, motoracer1100 and zamboiv like this.
  13. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

I stand corrected. Looked like a NEMA 5-20 from here

14. baconologist

Why?
    Confusion of the codes?

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

220 single phase Euro is line to neutral
    220 single phase US is line to line

16. gapman789

Getting ready to throw this 15/125 plug on.....still good to go after the above back 'n forth?

17. baconologist

I’m not a lisc electrician, just a hack who isn’t afraid of volts. A couple things stand out to me here.
    I can’t see Ape shipping an incompatible sign to one of their US dealers. Providing you didn’t buy it off eBay-EU.
    I’d wire it;
    Brn-blk
    Blu-wht
    Gr/yel-ground
    Plug it in and see what happens.
    If it goes up in smoke, pull the plug, drill out the rivets and install US spec parts in body.

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I love this comment. Story of my life.

beac83 likes this.
  19. gapman789

Fire extinguisher on standby.

I bought it from an enthusiast no doubt. Museum of a garage with lotsa cool bikes, planes, antique pumps, cars, etc.....He's an engineer....pilot....engine builder....Could've have been boccarp or his twin for all i know.

20. baconologist

It works for all of our specialties