1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornerworkers at the Cycle Jam

Discussion in 'General' started by melissa, May 28, 2002.

1. melissa

melissa Sir

I meant to say this at the track and to the appropriate parties but better late than never...

Thanks very much to all the cornerworkers and officials at VIR this past weekend. We kept them extremely busy on long hours through multiple oil slicks, crashes, various debris, and hundreds of bikes, and they kept us safe for four days of racing. I especially appreciated the lunch hour sacrifice on Saturday for that huge oil slick in turn 3-4. If any of you are reading (and you know who you are), we noticed, and we thank you for it!

Melissa Berkoff

2. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

I'll second that. I stayed for the NESBA day on Monday and the corner workers did an excellent job. There was a woman working the station at the top of the roller coaster, and she was very patient with me, er, with The Punisher, who made a special guest appearance there. She even came by my pits later to check and make sure I was okay. The corner workers had a lot to deal with over the weekend and they did a good job. :)

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

BUMP!

You guys and gals kicked ass this weekend!
    Thanks for keeping the track sweet all weekend, despite everyone's feeble attempts at chunking the racing surface! Next time I'll make it a point to thank each of you guys personally.

4. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

Beth, you went down!? Damn, I was hiding in my trailer a/c between sessions, so I didn't know.

You ok?

5. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Yeah, I'm alright I guess. I was more mad than anything. Even hiding in your trailer, I can't believe you didn't hear me yelling when the crash truck brought me in. I was feeling great- I shaved 8 seconds off my previous best time at VIR. But then I turned into the rollercoaster, and all of a sudden a squid came up inside me. He parked it, and drifted out, and I had to stand up the bike and run off. Unfortunately, the ground was really choppy and my front end washed out. The demon bike and I landed hard on my left knee, but I think it just has very deep muscle bruising and some road rash. :)

6. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

Good to hear your doing ok. 8 secs, eh? Congrads!!!

7. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

A big thumbs up to all the corner workers, scorers, and WERA officials! Thank you!

8. funksouljon

funksouljon Well-Known Member

Echo what everyone else said. I spent some time out at the T1 CW station while waiting for the crash truck. Thank you so much for the Gatorade. I looked but couldn't find them before I left to tell em thanks.

9. Glover

Glover Official Race Suit Tester

Turn #1 Rider #886

Thanks to the corner workers that help with my bike on Thursday in turn #1. We had to push it a long way to get it across the track from the tires.

Great job,
    Glover #886
    www.medievalracing.com

10. Ro Lynn Chicane

Ro Lynn Chicane can't make up her mind.

Do you mean the T1 hot gatorade stand? It's a station speciality in the SE!

You wouldn't happen to be the rider who tried to explain heat cycles on tires to some trainees, would you? We had an excellent lesson on that in a later race when a rider had his rear cooked by a header pipe rubbing his rear tire. He didn't crash, but I kept calling him in because the rear was smoking and getting glossy... eventually he pitted and didn't finished the race, no one was hurt and only a tire was lost.

My non-racing family always wonders why I stock up on sport drinks and bottled water during the racing season. I tell them there's a country full of riders who have never had a nice hot sport drink on a hot day and just don't know what they're missing. And there's nothing like warm water (warmer than the showers last weekend) when you're hot and dehydrated.

11. WERA

WERA Administrator

I decided the following belongs here more so than the other thread so here it is....

I know the downtime at lunch is needed, most racers don't understand the difference between working trackside and sitting under a canopy with a fan and access to the bathrooms and concession stand. BTDT and it ain't the easiest job at the track by far. However it does rank as the most underpaid and unappreciated (although that is changing year to year).

I'll do my best to make sure no more 30 minute lunches happen again. Thanks to all of you for making Saturday work, it wouldn't have otherwise (hell, the whole weekend wouldn't have happened without you so thanks for that too ).

And a HUGE thanks to Nancy Junge for doing something I should have taken care of before the event! Not the first time she's bailed me out and surely not the last...

Anyway, thanks to the Corner Officials, the other Officials, the racers, the track security guys (the most fun security dudes anywhere) the EMS guys (who along with taking care of hurt riders can also clean up oil as good as we do which still floors me), everyone else at VIR, and even the racers because you all did a great job helping us with this event too - this Cycle Jam is the biggest we'[ve had since the early 90's at Pocono and it went smoother than any Pocono event I ever attended... Our travelling circus and extended family did one hell of an impressive job. I love you guys!