1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corner workers on Drugs or....

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Justin Garvin, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Try all you like, the 299 bike was on the 10b side of the bridge and I have the pictures to prove it.

2. SEan, I am sorry, about the facts, you maybe right as to where the bike was . Parts of the accident are coming back to me. THE TROUBLE I HAVE IS HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET OUT THE RED FLAG.:Pop:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sorry you're having trouble with that but it was flying as Selbert crashed if not before.

Have you ever worked a corner?

4. GOOD MORNING TO YOU TOO!

5. Have I mentioned that I sometmes open mouth and insert foot before thinking things thru, in this case, waiting till all of the memories come back to me. I appologize if I am incorrect:eek:

6. slidewayzBLAKE

slidewayzBLAKE I do the doubles

you two should pm eachother and argue.
    Justin is not blaming anyother rider from what I can read all he is saying maybe the cornerworkers can improve on its cornerworking skills, its not hard to accept, but in this situation maybe they did the best they could maybe not, it happens

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's blaming the cornerworkers. The corner workers did nothing wrong. So I'm supposed to ignore his comments about them? Fuck that.

If you think it's just a nice suggestion about improving things then I suggest you read the thread title.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

So you ask a question in the title of the thread, yet you answer yourself in your own post. Seems like there was no need.

Also if you are aware that members of the CW crew are under the influence, shouldn't it be YOUR responsibility to bring it to the attention of the sanctioning body?

9. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Anyone who is posting in this thread who has actually worked corners (cars or bikes or both) raise their hand. Those are the people who can actually put in a valid comment about what a CW does or does not do. Everyone else is just second guessing.

/me raises his hand.

-steve

10. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

/me raises her hand.

11. Hyperdyne

One need not be a professional cornerworker to realize the argument at hand. As well, working 1-20-200 races as a CW will never allow you to encounter the same exact accident.

Simply put it's obvious that your rider has some questions about the decisions made during an event. Despite his attempt at humor, it can be assumed that his argument is that the cornerworkers at the event made a mistake. When actually the question should have been posed to the Race Director, and then confirmed by Sean or Evelyne. (Or at least the last time I opened my big mouth before thinking, that's what was told to me :D)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The issue is more that even after being told by the people with the expertise in this field he is wrong, he's insisting he isn't.

Anytime we have multiple bikes go down like this we investigate the hell out of the incident and try to see how anything could be changed to keep it from ever happening again. We did that this time as always, and determined exactly what I said - given the same situation therre is nothing anyone oculd have done, riders/cornerworkers/officials to keep it from happening again. Evelyne just tlaked to Jeff this morning and he had the same issue Justing did, too close to the bike in front of him to see the downed bike. It's not anyone's fault when that happens as much as everyone would like to place blame.

13. Hyperdyne

Sounds alot like what Sublet said to me.. Minus a few explatives and "What the hell do you know" :D

14. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Just a FYI, and Sean prolly already knows this, but to get your Prov. Expert lic in WSMC, it is Required to do 1 day of CW'ing... And I believe the CW's also have to notify race control re: red flags.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

That woudn't be a bad idea right there.

It always amazes me how clueless some racers are about the procedures CW's have to abide by to make sure everyone is safe.

16. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

CMRA makes you cornerwork before you can race.

17. VFRgrl

VFRgrl Well-Known Member

I've thought about this thread alot, and one thing you need to realize is that a RED FLAG don't help to warn you of impending doom in a particular turn. That is what a WAVING YELLOW flag is for. Red flag condition is COURSE-WIDE so ALL stations are displaying the red flag (which is why the cornerworkers call to control and "ask" for a red flag and control makes the red flag call. I say "ask" because you aren't ever told 'no' it is the procedure to avoid confusion). HOW do you know where the unsafe 'incident' is? THE WAVING YELLOW FLAG.
    Waving yellow flag is supposed to mean there is something on the racing surface that may require you to slow dramatically off pace or change your line. It doesn't only mean "no passing". WAVING on the pavement, STANDING in the grass is the general rule.
    If you saw the WAVING YELLOW that should have been warning enough that something was potentially on the racing surface.

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Just an FYI from up north - You have to cornerwork a trophy dash (similar to a solo 20) before you can get a CRA race license.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

WHACK!!!

Hit the nail on the head right there. :up:

20. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

The trouble I have with this whole thread is...someone claims to have seen CWs smoking pot, apparently at the track, I assume. If this is the case, why weren't race officials notified at the time. As a CW and former racer I would not hesitate to point out to race event officials what I observed, be it CW, rider, crew, etc.

It's not just Race Officials and CWs responsibility for safety. Riders and crew are equally responsible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.