1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corner workers on Drugs or....

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Justin Garvin, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So its been a few days since the endurance, I'm still recovering from that massive pile up on the the top of the hill. I hate to start any trouble but raising awareness or training might be a plus here.
    First,I'd like to say again to the Ghetto boys that am sorry for running into the back of your rider(cant remember his name(nice guy though)). Everything just happened so fast. My lesson in this is that Endurance racing should probably have more margin for error, I think I'm gonna leave a little more room next time out.
    So this brings me to the point of this thread. I am just wondering why there wasn't a red flag immediately when the bike went down on the other side of the hill. It is completely blind to us ( the other riders coming over the hill). The young gentleman that was ejected off of the bike was sitting on the wall by the time we came over the hill. I'd say that was enough time to get out the red flag. So were the corner workers on drugs, were they just not trained to know that is a very dangerous place to have a bike in the middle of the track? Was there not a corner worker stationed there to see a bike laying in the track.
    Ok fine, so if it happened to fast for them to react, when Selman hit the bike laying in the track, then me and said Ghetto Boy went down, is this not a good time to get that red flag way out there to slow everyone down. Jesus, there where what 3 other guys that went down behind us, many seconds later.
    I'm pretty dissapointed in the officiating. I have lost a severe amount of skin off my leg and will be dealing with the treatments daily to remove the debri not to mention dissapointing my teammates and destroying a new set of forks that we had just put on the night before at my cost. I feel really bad for Selman, and the other guys that went down. I even feel really bad for the young guy that caused the whole pile up. He seemed like a really good kid, that was concerened for all that were involved.

Is this experience gonna raise the awareness for future racing there? I'd like to think so!

2. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

3. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Also, there is a way to recommend something be changed and just flat out being rude and obnoxious about something. The title of the thread would indicate you just want to be rude and obnoxious.

4. slidewayzBLAKE

slidewayzBLAKE I do the doubles

maybe because our bike sat one foot off the track at barber in T-1 for at least 5 min before they pulled it off. my rider the original poster here laid still for about 30 seconds (no red) what if someone else slid off into our rider or bike than what just another racing incident. you are correct he could have done it differently but on his behalf 15 or 20 seconds after a bike that from the looks of the pics was down before it went over the hill should of been good cause for a red but on the cornerworkers side as mongo has stated it was early in the race and bikes were very close so you cant always see everything. so I guess I think it depends on wich side of the accident you were on to have a opinion

just to be clear most wera officials make good calls and do a great job

thanks for a great year even with our ups and downs

5. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

I'll never forget that image in my head when your bike ghost ride right into the wall

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First - the bike wasn't anywhere near the "other side of the hill". Even after Jeff Selbert hit it the bike was still on the downhill slope towards 10b. The corner workers called for and got a red flag immediately. How much quicker would you like them to react? I'll work on hiring corner workers with ESP right away.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You know the more I think of it the more amazed I am at the initial post. You admit you were so far up Tim Brewers ass that you couldn't see anything ahead of him and that is why two of the bikes went down - yours and his - yet you're trying to blame the corner workers for the whole incident?

Amazing.

8. slidewayzBLAKE

slidewayzBLAKE I do the doubles

hey sean I think Justin is still working, what I ment was if 299 was sideways 25 feet out of 10b I assumed that he didnt fight the bike for the 150 yards up and over the hill I didnt see it so I have no Idea I thought the bikes hit on the downslope where you could see the oil, and the complaint wasnt that we hit tim it was the amount of time to the flag, it is okay for your people to have messed up it happens, lets work togeather to fix these things, not to play the its not my fault game.

I know its not your track but maybe the track owners can have a way the corner workers in blind corners and hills can activate red lights to avoid things like this, I am sure rider saftey is our #1 concern

again it sucks to have wrecked our bike and rider, but we can learn from things and move on

thank you

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, Justin is full of shit trying to lay blame in an incident where it is not warranted. The 299 bike was NOT in a blind spot. Period end of story.

The downslope I'm talking about is back towards the exit of 10b. Not towards T12, that's where Selberts bike landed.

This incident happened because it was the second lap and too many bikes were still nose to tail. You can try all you like but there is no way to get a flag out or lights or any other warning system when a bike crashes in the middle of a pack. Most days we get lucky and nothing happens but other days this type of crash does.

As for being defensive - find something any of our people did wrong and I'll gladly work to make it better. But to accuse people of being on drugs or in some other way negligent when they worked their asses off to save YOUR asses is not only stupid it it's assinine. If you can't handle the danger that is inherent in roadracing and feel the need to place blame on someone else then get into competitive tiddleywinks because you don't need to be in this sport.

10. If you can't handle the danger that is inherent in roadracing and feel the need to place blame on someone else then get into competitive tiddleywinks because you don't need to be in this sport.[/QUOTE]

HMMM, I do seem to remember that there was nothing actully coming off of our bike at Nelson, and I do mean NOTHING. But we were MEAT BALLED. I remember seeing a bike pooring smoke out of the tail pipe lap after lap at this event. HMM. Yea, your probably right Sean. I dont have a clue what I saw or involved in. After all, I was staring at that Gheto ASS. So whats the excuse for me having time to finally get up and run to the inside wall, and then turn and watch as someone else crashs over the hill on the DOWN SLOPE TOWARDS 12, and another at the top off the hill when he locked his breaks.
    I like you SEAN, but you wanna tell me what I know happened and tell me Im full of SH_T. Cool, I was looking to try out MOTO ST anyway.
    Besides, maybe a drug test is in order, cause I personally know some of the corner workers, and have physically watched them smoke pot. Whos full of shit now?!:tut:
    I mean, this is only our lives. No need to have compitent wokers right. Ask Selmon how he feels, Oh wait is he speaking just yet. ( Sorry Selmon, I really do feel bad for you)
    By the way, not that you care, I had my leg taken care of for the last few days. I'm sorry if my typing is screwed up or whatever but I do have a double dose of pain medicine in me right now along with 4 beers cause it looks like I will need to be admited to that hospital tomorrow for an I-V. Looks like I may have cellulitus.

11. doublevision950

doublevision950 Well-Known Member

Need to make sure all the cw have contact.I was watching at the top of the bridge and he said he didnt have a radio and he was having to watch the other cw to know if he should use the red flag.When the 630 novice bike crashed(the same place Wikle crashed) the yellow flag came out for way too long when the red flag should have came out immediatly.I dont no if that was the case on Fri or not but the red could have come out a lot quicker if it was.Our bike was right behind Jeff and just missed the incident.We were very lucky.One of the scariest things I have seen this year.Heal up soon Jeff

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Are the CW's required to call Race Control prior to throwing the red or are they empowered to assess the situation, throw the red if need be, then call race control?

13. doublevision950

doublevision950 Well-Known Member

I think that they should be the ones to make the call,but in the case I saw he held out the yellow flag until he saw the other cw throw the red flag.After the incident is when he said he didnt have a radio so he wasnt sure.

14. Sixx22

Sixx22 Well-Known Member

I went thru before any flags were shown. The 299 bike was not on the 10 b side of the bridge. I crested the hill and saw Russ running to the pit in lane. His bike was stationary in the race line facing up hill towards me. I still havent figured out why there was no flag, or how I missed it. I crossed the line waving my arms at Chuck to throw a red.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Have to ask race control.

At Road Atlanta, there is a special provision for the CW station past turn five, over the hill. I believe that station can throw the red flag without asking race control.

16. Hey Sixx,
    Thanks for your input. Everyone has seen the picture where he was coming outta 1ob and assume the bike was either in the shade or on the 10b side of the hill, when in fact like you said it was over the hill on the turn 12 side. Selmon had already crested the hill at lightning speed in front of Tim and I. Tim and I were both basically in the shade of the bride as Tim hit the brakes because he saw Selmon collide. Just so happened that I got a little better drive outta 10b and right as I got behind him I was crossing over to pass on the outside going down the hill. Unfortunetely, that was when he hit the brakes and I had no time to react.
    THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT. EVEN SPECTATORS THAT ARE NON BIAS.

17. HMMM

18. REALLY? UU- UMM SEAN? I am FULL OF WHAT EXACTLY??

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That wasn't Russ' bike on the other side of the bridge that was Selberts or one of the others, bikes when hit do not move backwards and the 299 was before the bridge when we loaded it onto the crash truck (BTW - Justin if you're going to try and use someone to make a point get his name right, it's Jeff Selbert who got hurt the worst).

Justin - Go race Moto-ST all you like, we won't miss you.

Corners are all communicating via headsets, some have radios as a backup. I'm not sure which flagger you're talking about but the one in 11 is at the station with a headset.

Hand signals is also very normal for a lot of situations since eyes work better than radios. The reason for calling race control is if you have a red in one corner and the riders coming behind that haven't seen it you create a more dangerous situation. Since control can contact all people at the same time it's better for them to say the words red flag over the headset/radio - which takes only a few seconds. The people we had working control this weekend don't bother asking why until later, they just make sure the race is shut down then ask for what help the corner needs. The yellow flag is sufficient for situations like this - read the rulebook, it means there could be track blockage. Riders are getting worse about ignorning a waving yellow and thinking it just means no passing and not remembering that it means you may have to change your line.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are acting like a moron and full of shit. Any other questions?

Keep trying to make excuses for taking out Tim because you weren't looking up track all you like. Won't change the actual facts of what happened. Do I blame you? Nope, that's racing.

Do you even remember what you said on the track? Tim checked up and you ran into him - gee, wonder why he checked up? Saw a crashed bike or flag maybe? Nah, he did it just for fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.