1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cop falls off motorcycle into manhole..

Discussion in 'General' started by Pixelator, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out how you stop next to an open manhole then fall off your bike into it, sounds like a Wiley Coyote move for sure.. :wow:

An Atlanta police officer suffered a knee injury when he fell off of his motorcycle and into an open manhole Saturday night, police said.

The officer, whose name was not released, was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital and was alert, Officer Kim Jones said.

The incident happened during a traffic stop near I-75, near Central Avenue, Jones said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta-cop-falls-into-568300.html

2. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

I stepped into a rain gutter on hot pit lane at Barber. Result was falling over onto the armco in essentially the riding position, I had no clue what happened. I feel this man's pain.

3. Probably started getting off his bike before he realized the manhole was there, and when he tried to put his foot down, nothing was there!

4. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

now that just sounds painful

5. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

Definitely an "oh shit, where the hell is the....ahhhhhhh" moment.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Happens with cars in Detroit all the time.

Ghetto homeboys steal them for scrap money in the middle of the night.

I drove down Mound Rd. one time about 7 or 8 years ago and for 3 miles every manhole was missing.

Sometimes manhole lids will stress-crack and crumble into their own hole too.

7. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Not as painful, but pretty funny;

Earlier this year at a police motorcycle skills competition I decided I would park in line with the rest of the motorcycles, in front of the crowd. So I pull up, back the bike in, turn it off and give the kick stand tab a quick kick.... As I dismount from the highside, the motorcycle slips from my grasp!! Seems the quick kick on the kick stand tab did not fully extend the kickstand!!! LOL

8. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

Seems like stolen storm/manhole covers were the problem.

Also the newspaper had the story wrong, he didnt fall off his motorcycle, he was pulling a motorcycle over. Heres the follow up story.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/24228464/detail.html

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

"Thieves steal these grates at taxpayers expense," said GDOT spokesperson Mark McKinnon. "The grates cost five-hundred dollars each and they turn around and sell them to a scrap yard for less than twenty bucks."

Maybe the state should offer to buy them back for $40

10. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

find some at the scrap yard and fine the yard so they wont want to buy them. if there is no money in it then they wont get stolen.

11. tony 340

I just drove by a few more this morning. They had upside down cones in them cocked half sideways.

12. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

We should draft a story about this and inform the public how to pop em' up and roll them off. That would be constructive media to the rescue.

Some people are baffled as to why they are round and how theives get the heavy steel disks up.

13. tony 340

5' pinch bar, a sledge hammer, and a pair of testicles.

14. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

ughh... he said manhole... huh ha... manhole

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

please tell me there's video of this floating somewhere around the internet???

16. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

European Swallow or African Swallow?!?