1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling vests?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Anyone try one of these for endurance racing? Going to do a 6 hour on a 250 this weekend and its going to be 95 so I'm looking for something to help keep me cool. This is the one I was going to get:

http://www.techniche-intl.com/catalogus/hyperkewl-cooling-sport-vest.html

We are planning on hour stints so I'd like it to last nearly that long and not end up making me hotter.

2. sdg

sdg *

Used to pack the hump on my suit with ice...

3. Spooner

I thought of that too..

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Spidi had tested out their Anatomic Intercooler System (AIS) quite a few years back on pro riders like Gibernau, but I don't think it ever got any traction or saw a retail version.

Being on the bike for an hour in 95 degree heat is going to make any home-brew solution probably irrelevant after a few laps.

I would just make sure you are using breathable materials that will aid your body in dissipating heat, and trying your best to keep fluids available (camelback ect.) as dehydration is not something I'd like to have nipping at my heels while circulating a racetrack.

5. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

95 degrees is nothing. Man up, nancy :D

Back in the day I did a 6 hour endurance in TX with a high of 111 degrees. That SUCKED. I was pouring ice water down the neck of my leathers between stints.

I tried those pellet filled neck bandanas that you soak and keep in the cooler until ready to use. They helped al little for the first 20 minutes or so. I assume the vests are the same deal? I would think that the vests might inhibit air flow if you're wearing perforated leathers.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

95 is cool and refreshing at TWS...:D

7. Spooner

Screw you hippies!

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

But it's a dry heat.

:FL:

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:stupid:

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

We used cotton painters' hoods when I was running endurance. Soak `em in ice water (dedicated cooler) pull `em on, shudder at the cold shock, then put on our helmet. Good for up to a half hour in Texas.

11. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I haven't used any of the available cooling shirts but based on the research I did for a work project, I would check out the backpack cooling systems by CoolShirt or Veskimo. They're pricey ($500-600) but should work for 3-4 hours.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

One of the guys at Hallett last time had some kind of vest he bought at cycle gear that worked like those bandana things. You soaked it in water and put it on under your leathers and it was supposed to keep you cool. I don't know how well it worked though.

I'd think anything that relied on evaporative cooling wouldn't work well when the humidity level was too high.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Forfeit.

14. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

Nick I used one a couple years ago. It does ok until it dries, then not so good.
    Call me I'll give it to you if I can find it
    913-515-6533

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I use this system in my track car. Figure out how to mount it to the bike and you would have it made :D

[​IMG]

16. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

You mean like the backpack version of the CoolShirt I posted above?

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Yeah. Missed your post. I have about $250 in my whole system. I used the shirt but rigged my own cooler system.

18. Spooner

That was the one I had planned on getting but a friend of mine used one and said it didn't last long enough and went with the other one I linked earlier as it held more water and lasted longer. I went ahead and ordered one, I will report how it goes!

I might not have been so worried about it but I haven't raced since 2010 and I haven't been keeping in shape this year so it's going to be brutal :crackup:

19. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member