1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cooling system

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rob860, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Rob860

Rob860 Well-Known Member

What is the best way to remove any the trapped air in the cooling system after refilling? The bike is a 06 gsxr 600.

Thanks

2. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

What I do is:

Don't cap the system off.

I fill as much as I can with the engine off. Once the radiator cannot accept any more water, I start the engine and idle it till it comes up to temp while adding water enough to consistently cover the radiator fins.

Once the radiator appears to be full again, I give the throttle a few small blips. If the cooling system does not "burp", I go consistent RPM up to about 4k (inline 4 engine) then slowly back down to idle. Check level and fill as necessary. Shut down and check again.

One thing is to make sure the coolant overflow is properly filled as well.

3. duckracer

duckracer Well-Known Member

The best way I found is to fill the system, pinch the coolant hose's a few times to burp them, then repeat untill you get no more air when you burp the hose's. Then run the bike till it cycles the thermostat and do it all over again (once cooled). after a few cycles the air should be gone. Don't forget to have coolant in the overflow, otherwise when the bike cools it will suck air back in.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

tighten the cap and keep a close eye on the overflow reservoir.

5. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I have the same bike and do like Bergs and Duc said, there is also a bleeder on the water pump to get things going.

Also after a few rides you may want to bleed it again.

You will know if you have air in the system if the temp shoots up or is erratic.

Be sure to clean the seal on the rad cap as they tend to get nasty.

6. Rob860

Rob860 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

correct, on a gsxr you should bleed at the water pump to burb the system and keep filling. You can often think it is full, to only find yourself overheating because it wasn't. . It isn't as easy as an r6 to get the coolant full. R6 is easy.