1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cooking thread(john cook main result on search)lol

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Aug 2, 2018.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

who here has made a company pork chop?

rsz_1rsz_20180802_182813.jpg

2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

edit... gotta have sweet/ yellow onion for this # no red VI DAY YA is prime

panthercity likes this.
  3. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Just got half a pig the other night. Definitely going to try that recipe it looks great.

I usually do just a simple Italian dressing marinade with McCormick pork rub and throw them on the grill.

Do you have any other tasty pork recipes? We have like 50lbs of pork (ribs, sausage, ham, bacon, loin, pork chops etc...)

4. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have not tried the pork chops above but looks great.

Been playing with rubs lately, getting closer to one that works for me an the boss. Sous Vide for ribs absolutely rocks. Vacuum sealer also rocks.

6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

5B718E25-0256-4B54-BBB8-6D91835131B7.jpeg Ive been making my own sausage lately. This is from a few weeks ago. I had a buddy who wanted to help and he was in a bit of a hurry so things got a bit overstuffed. They still taste great I just prefer to leave them a little more room.

The grinder is my grandpas from his butcher shop and market. It’s a Hobart from the 50’s and still runs great.

I’m going to do some chorizo tomorrow after my morning bike ride.

Above are chicken and feta, spicy Italian and Jalapeño and Cheddar.

Boman Forklift, TLR67, G 97 and 3 others like this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You guys really like sausage parties don't you? :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So uh, how you doin? :D

zamboiv and joec like this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

I know.... Right? Get some insulated box and dry ice and get over to Fed ex!! I'll pm an address!!!

zamboiv likes this.
  10. Kyle Brosius

I keep hearing about the “Sous Vide” over and over again. I’m going to have to buy one so I can try it for myself. I also keep hearing about the instant pot or something. What are the opinions on that? Anybody Sous Vide at the track?

11. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Wish it were more affordable and I would totally do it. I will be shipping some to my grandpa though - he’s pretty happy someone is using his stuff.

All the jalepenos and bell peppers in the sausage this summer have been coming straight out of my garden. My Tabasco pepper plant is just now producing and it’s going nuts so I’ve gotta find a recipe for those now.

Phl218 and Kyle Brosius like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I will eventually buy one for the RV - actually I want a wifi one for the house and will move my original one to the RV. Already have the old crock pot in here for chili and such :D

Instant Pot is cool but it's essentially just a computer controlled electric pressure cooker. I've got one but don't really use it for more than rice. I do need to play with it more but so far my results even following recipes to the letter have been less than stellar. Not bad by any stretch but nothing special and I can get a lot more tender out of the sous vide - however that does take a lot longer.

The ribs for example were at 165 for 12 hours. The upside to that is it's really set and forget like a crock pot. I put rub on the ribs (three different versions so split two racks into 3 pieces each), sealed them, left in the fridge for more than 24 hours because I forgot to cook them the first night. I do the Anova in a bike stock pot I original bought for making beer and dropped the ribs in at 10pm before bed. pulled them the next morning and let them cool a bit then in the fridge. I pulled a chunk from each bag and put them on a racker over a baking sheet in the oven at 300 for an hour or so and that was it, rib perfection. I was going to do the rest of them in the smoker this week but mother nature was being a bitch so they're in the resealed bags with me and will go either in the oven or on the grill tomorrow night for dinner.

Total time of actual hands on cooking including all the prep (making the rub etc...) was maybe 45 minutes.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  13. Kyle Brosius

Yup I’m definitely going to have to buy one. It usually takes me 3+ hours on the grill to cook ribs. I’ll probably splurge on the WIFI one. Is the 900w one enough or is the 1100w one the one to get? The 900w one is significantly less expensive.

Jim Roth introduced me to the NuWave oven at Mid Ohio and I’m 100% picking one of those up for track duty. Beats the hell out of my propane grill I usually use.

14. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

If you like something spicy but not something that sets your mouth on fire you might try this

https://www.amazon.com/Leggs-Planta...3320671&sr=8-2&keywords=leggs+zesty+seasoning

Adding 1 ounce of sage per 25 pounds is a good option also. Its not bland like the mild season but not overly hot.

Me? Retired meat cutter of 47 years.

Beef also makes a good sausage. Boneless chuck.

zamboiv likes this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I got an Instantpot a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm doing some Chile Verde in it today.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think my main issue is I haven't run into a point where I plan on a crock pot type of meal and then don't have crock pot time. Seems like it'd be great for that.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  17. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

FYI Carnitas in the Instant Pot are awesome! After shredding the pork crisp it up in the oven!

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have done stews, soups, chicken breasts, even a roast. Cannot beat the reduction in cooking time. I have the Crockpot branded one, not an Instapot

19. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Did you also get you Grandfathers tenderizer?

If so have a go with running boneless chicken breast through one time only - the meat is so soft it'll fall apart with a second run.
    Season / bread to your liking and grill on something like a George Forman grill. It will shrink back to about loaf bread size very quickly.

Chain grocery stores probably won't run chicken through their tenderizer because of cross-contamination issues.
    Independents might.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Great for precooking chicken or ribs before going on the grill also, stays juicy and cooks in a few minutes, even from frozen.

David-imoddavid likes this.