1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consumer Reports for Cars: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jan 12, 2021.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

i think Truecar is better in that regard... but costs a few $d

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Around here, used Hondas (most of the cars) and even Toyotas are pretty used up before they hit the used market and they still command top dollar. Only thing worse then Civics and Corollas is mid sized pick ups.

I'd add Hyundai/ Kia and Mazda to my look at list.

Bloodhound and TurboBlew like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I agree with the Hyundai options...My Aunt had big engine issues with her ~2003 camry and when she replaced that a few years ago I had her look at them. She has one and so does her son. Great cars for the $ and maybe still a little better price point than T or H.

Also how old is son? If a new driver I would drop the price range down to "15+ year old $2-3K Honda Beaters" so when he wrecks it you dont cry so much.

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

We have a 2010 4 cyl Accord and it has a timing chain. I think you have to go back a long way to find their 4 cylinder models with a belt.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Are there even any $2K to $3K Honda beaters around anymore? my neighbor is like 83 and has an old accord which she asked me if I wanted to buy (DMV took her license due to age). I said no but it's still there so I might ask how much but I got no place to park it.

But most shitboxed hondas here have either been R-tarded or have fake speed holes and chrome naked chick badges on them.

Corollas just don't seem to be as reliable as they once were. There's a bunch of them in the lot and everyone of them seem to be in need of a trip to the shop to get something (minorish) done.

Now lower dollar Nissans, holy shit, I'd buy a used VW way before I'd consider one of those.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I find the reports biased and inaccurate.

Find a shop with Identifix reliability reports, written by techs seeing the issues with the cars. My o2.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes....maybe not around you and all that high falutin Gubment money...but out here in the sticks you can find them.

8. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I used consumer reports before I purchased my car (2013 Carolla) and found it very helpful. However, that was in 2012 and see that Mr. Wanker has some insight into the new interface.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, I guess. Here the bargain car seems to be BMW 335is with higher miles and small SUVs. Then again, I've never looked for bargain shitboxes outside of Honders and 'yotas in passing.

10. TurboBlew

My brother asked me to keep my eyes peeled for a beater pickup... I laffed as
    20yr old rusted rangers go for $3500 for single cabs... dodge dakotas or 25yr old.toyotas forget it... asking well over $5k for a truck with the whole subscription of problems.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Gas mileage isn't all that bad with the small SUVs and I know my daughter felt less vulnerable sitting higher and being able to see. With all the larger vehicles on the road today, a novice can get skittish when they cannot see over anything other than Cannoli's Lotus.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The small SUVs seemed to be the third car for some people and they were replaced with big ass pickups (old news), Teslas (now passe) and now fully decked out Jeeps wranglers.

That's the way I'd go: Smaller SUV with something like a CX5 or even a Tigger-juan.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    R Acree likes this.
  13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

....I'd recommend keeping a folding bicycle in the trunk if someone buys a Nissan.

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Their CVT's are totally under-built junk...
    I tell anyone I see with driving a Nissan to change their fluid about every 20k to 30k miles. And to get rid of it, as soon as possible. this based on one I had responsibility for maintaining, and drove often.

15. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Old Nissan hard body pickups and 98 -2004 frontier . I’ve put 350k on a 99 and a 01 frontier 4cyl auto . I have a 2004 , manual 4 cyl 200k right now. All three vehicles I payed the average of $2800 dollars. Only major problem and this is coming from my transmission guy . The manual will leak out the rear seal during highway driving . It won’t leak any oil on the driveway, only a slight drip driving long trips.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Things don't change much, but the ones that stick out:

GM is better these days then the 90's.
    Nissan+BMW are absurdly worse.
    Toyota and Honda are the only really reliable things out there.
    Everything else is ho-hum and about the same as each other.

pjdoran likes this.
  17. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

With proper maintenance and lack of abuse, "most" cars perform well. With negligent use and maintenance, many cars of most brands falter.
    With negligent use and maintenance, most T and H cars don't falter. YMMV

18. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

As to OP question, I don't subscribe, but routinely buy CR. They have good marketing, the opinions and usefulness are slipping in efficacy it seems.

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Sorta true, not all hondas use timing belts.

20. TurboBlew

It was always kind of funny to me the local H&T dealers bragging about how great their service dept is...lol. Is it run by UNICEF? If someone has a T or H for sale... "Oh its only got 3,000,000 miles on it... will go to 5,000,000 easy!"
    If someone is attemping to buy one with 260,000 miles from the original owner they complain "Oh why does this 20+ year old SUV have so many miles" :rolleyes: The bottom line for a commuter they are just appliances.
    And like you said... idiots just jump in turn the key and go. Never check tires, oil, coolant, etc. Those same idiots will bring the car to a dealership because "the bluetooth isn't working" and end up with a $7,500 engine rebuilt quote...