1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Construction experts knowledge needed...

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Aug 25, 2020.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am plotting and planning on building a new house. One major thing is an observatory. For one of my plans to work I would take a 20' 12" metal culvert. Dig 2-3' into the ground with and put the culvert in so that it sticks up. There would be a pad surrounding it likely 4" The culvert sticking up would extend up about 13' from the ground and I would fill it with concrete. It's purpose is to be the telescope pier mount.

So the question would that be self supporting? I cannot tie it to the structure as it's purpose is vibration isolation.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

First - What scope you putting in there?
    Second - I assume the culvert is the scope housing. I think you may to bury it a few feet more than that.
    Third - It sounds like you want to keep the housing and the scope mount separate to prevent vibrations...is that what your saying?

3. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Not in the ground far enough where I live

Rico888, wsmc42, sheepofblue and 2 others like this.
  4. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I’m lost. So you want to bury a 20’ pipe, 2-3 feet in the ground and only have 13’ sticking out of the ground? Where’s the rest of the pipe? You cutting it off? And this whole thing is filled with concrete and you’re mounting a telescope to the top of it?

can you post a picture cause I’m intrigued?

5. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Cool project, yep you will be big time top heavy. If it’s 13 feet out of the ground , you will have to have a concrete pump. Lots more money. And you will need to band the heck out of the metal pipe to keep it from blowing out. Ok that was said without calculating but my first thoughts. Possibly you could fill the culvert why laying at an angle. Or pour it standing up somewhere you could get a concrete truck to the top ie a wall. Lots of stabilization. You probably also need some vibration to ensure it doesn’t segregate. I bet you can find a precast structure that will work. Once again cool project be safe.

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Depending on location, you should be below the frost level, don't want it to heave.

Was the idea from a site or someone recommended the mount? Could work.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think a metal culvert would hold that concrete without blowing out. You would need a pump and a good vibrator though, you'll get a bunch of air pockets if you don't vibrate, probably some rebar reinforcement also. You should pour a footer with rebar into where the pipe goes, let that set for a week, then pour the pipe. It would take less than a yard of crete to fill a 20' long 12" pipe, a yard is about 4000 lbs.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why a culvert and not a precast pier?

9. sheepofblue

Yep it will be kind of a tower (extension off the garage stairs) with a 14x14 platform. Plan is to put a hole in the center for the culvert, thus isolating it from the vibration on the platform. House it in a 10x10 observatory.

The culvert would be the mounting place for a Pier then the mount that does the work on that.

10. sheepofblue

What is this frost you speak of? LOL. We have a frost line about 1mm down in bad years.

The feedback has me thinking it is not that viable... though a metal tower like antennas might be. Guide wires would be allowed as they still isolate from the building and tower. Though I would want to keep them somewhat close rather than have them extend out a huge distance....

Maybe https://weisd.com/products/5657-roh...gfumalv5BTxlbAV02p0ZiqQcvRmNCsQwaAukrEALw_wcB if I could get a good height match....

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Can't you just build a bar in the basement like everyone else?

Dragginass, masshole, Wingnut and 6 others like this.
  12. sheepofblue

small minds think in terms of 'or' sheep plot in terms of 'and'

What about a basement remote setup with a big screen, pool table and bar to control the observatory?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Who's building your house, the first little piggy? Put that shit in the attic and keep your laundry machines on the ground floor.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Throw in some fireworks and now you're talking.

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It’s so he can peep through the neighbor's windows. :D

16. Pkelly2020

Pkelly2020 Member

Concrete footing with rebar dowels sticking up. Dowel locations set for concrete masonry block core spacing. Built a concrete masonry block column, reinforced with rebar of course. Slower to build but almost do it yourself simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepofblue likes this.
  17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

What you are talking about is in essence what we call a grade beam..
    You can pour two ends to frost depth, install rebar from footing through grade beam to the other footer (at frost) at other end.
    You will need the reinforcement so the conc. will not crack over time and this will tie it all together.
    Just be sure the channel/ culvert is bolted to anchors ideally tied to the rebar.. thing will last forever.
    Use steel shims and non shrink grout to level Culvert with bolts. You should do this with a guy that knows how to set steel..
    You could also put down railroad tracks and a cart .. I have seen that at some institutions..

BUT IT SOUNDS like a lot of work to spy on the neighbors wife ...

RichB and sheepofblue like this.
  18. sheepofblue

No Fireworks the boss Sheltie goes absolutely off the rails over them.

Oh and ChemGuy I have a WilliamOptics Gran Turismo 102, a Celestron Nexstar 8HD, and a Lunt LS10THa single stack solar scope.

19. I’ll ask some buddies tomorrow, one owns a very large concrete company and the other owns a concrete pumping company. Too bad you weren’t around here as I’m sure I could hook ya up. That being said check local laws, call someone that does more than just lay slabs that’s in your area. Lots of rules / regulations as far as depth below ground, reinforcement, additives and type of concrete. As also said above I’m sure it will have to have some sort of vibratory during the process, not sure you’d want a 13’ bit of concrete falling on you and more important damaging your telescope :) very cool project though, I bought a cheap $200 one about a year ago, got it to work a bit, then I was at a pawn shop looking at guns and guy asked me if I wanted it. Quick google on it and msrp was 1899. Gave 350 for it and use it a good bit. it’s a Celstron (think that’s the brand). Came with all kinds of extra shit too that are either a different brand or didn’t come with the original purchase. Guess it oats off buying a bunch of guns n ammo from the guy. Besides a chainsaw I bought when I needed one quick never bought anything besides guns n ammo from a pawn shop.

20. Sent my buddy a note, he said he will check with his Civil Eng in the am. Response was “we’ve actually done a few of those, f&ck ton of money to see the damn stars but business is business and as long as they don’t judge me for my overpriced Rousch Raptor its all good” also asked where are you located, said going to be a bit different up north but his CE can easily look up local codes. You’ll owe him a beer too :). He will send me a rough cost what it would be for him to do it just so you can budget. Also said can probably get away with “micro pump” that he said most big concrete companies have one or two trucks with them on them because his stuff is way too big for what you need.

mpusch and YamahaRick like this.