1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cometic gaskets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sportracer07, Oct 14, 2018.

1. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience with cometic head gaskets. There about half price of oem, which is awesome but i dnt want any issues. Just wondering if there good, never used them before?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

3. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I've used them on our race cars. Worked great and you can order whatever thickness you want.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  4. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Have you had issues with them? I always value your opinion greatly so am curious as i have a motor apart now.

Ah never mind.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I almost always have issues with them. That's why I never use them. Almost every one I've ever used has eventually blown. This is also the same feedback I get from others who do what I do. OEM and Vesrah head gaskets very rarely blow.

I did learn something though. If you torque the head, then wait thirty minutes or so, loosen it, and then re-torque it, those gaskets seem to work better. I still won't use them because they're just marginal.

6. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Put me on the list of people who had problems, specifically with a gasket for a 2013 GSX-R 750, started leaking cylinder pressure into the cooling system. They seem to work fine on some bikes like big twins where you have a lot of sealing area but not so well on inline 4's. I stick totally to Vesrah's on my 750 now.

7. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Thanks!