1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colt to stop making AR15s for civilians

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Quicktoy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So it boils down to low cost virtue signalling.

418, cav115 and Quicktoy like this.
  3. Quicktoy

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

When the virtue signal outweighs the financial impact.

As said, nobody bought that garbage anyway. Just make the classic old west .45 and shut your hole.

G 97 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

“as Colts were a go-to AR for consumers as America’s love for the modern sporting rifle emerged in the late 20th century.”
    They were? My go-to has always been Wilson Combat and Rock River Arms.

6. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I don't even see this as virtue signalling. They stopped making a product they couldn't sell and are focusing on the hand guns they can sell. The media decided to spin it as a victory for the AR ban group.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  7. Quicktoy

The virtue signaling is acting like they’re doing it to please the masses

sheepofblue likes this.
  8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Bye Felicia

Quicktoy likes this.
  9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Colt sucks plain and simple. Who in their right mind would pay what Colt wants for a rifle when you can get an Anderson Machine one for a quarter of the price and the same quality.

TSWebster and Quicktoy like this.
  10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I own one Colt, the Pony. Its a .380 that looks like a .45 that got left in the dryer.

The action has broken on it 3 times in 8 years. Again, they should stick with single action army models.

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a Colt python. I never even knew, or cared, that they apparently made an AR.

12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

So I am assuming they are only selling them to law enforcement since the military does not use an AR-15?

13. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Colt AR's were Good shit.
    Most parts were made in-house, Most others' source parts and are just assembly facilities.
    Colt also magnafluxed and did other things on a bunch of their parts. Stringent quality for Mil-spec gun. Benchmark Mil-spec gun.
    If it came out of a Colt, it was mil-spec...not lowest parts bidder/mfg.
    The Benchmark of a mil-spec gun.
    Sad......

FWIW: FN AR's/16's are put through the same paces as the colts. Same specs, on everything. Same quality.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  14. SpeedyE

Colt
    FN
    original Bushmaster
    Each at one time were US military M16 suppliers. Bushmaster lost their contract through some f'up, not quality reasons. Colt I believe lost it, but not sure why, not quality reasons either. I believe M16's are now only procured from FN. I could be wrong.

15. SpeedyE

Who knows....
    I remember they put that drop-in-auto-sear BLOCK, blind-pinned into their AR's in the 80's....which was political/feel-good BS. Milled a bunch of those out under Class-2/3 licensing (ie: Legal) back in the day...always made me smile to be chopping out Colt's political-appeasing BS. Turned those blocks into metal shavings, LOL.

Colt's bent over and done a few F'd up things, but nowhere Near on the same level as Ruger. Ruger ate political dick for decades.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Make your own.

socalrider likes this.
  17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

From what I recall, Colt renewed their contract but it's in name only. They are getting made by FN, but labeled Colt. So basically FN is subcontracted.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This is pretty good history from a former employee.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. SpeedyE

1980/1990's
    Colt LE salesmen: Colt 9mm smg. "Same M16 platform, solid-buffer, hydro-buffer, ROF adjustable, different uppers, bbl lengths, etc, etc, etc"
    HK LE salesmen: HK MP5. Takes a fully loaded Colt 9mm (achilles heel) mag....holds it at sternum level and lets it drop baseplate first onto hard floor....32rds stream out like a Gold water fountain.....every time.
    "Our PD will take the MP5", LOL.......true/wives'tail stories :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019