1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Admissions Scandal

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by condon66, Mar 12, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's harder to buy your way into ones that aren't coasting on reputation.

2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Not his fault of course but it does bring up the question of him getting in on his own or if he had "help"..... /s calm your tits kids

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...influence is one thing. That has always been the case, even at state schools. If your parents went to UNC or UGA (the only ones I have personal experience with), odds of moving closer to the top of the admission list were higher. Donate a building and your family is not likely to get rejected. Direct bribes, false test scores, surrogates taking tests, and fake spots on teams are a bit more than simple influence.

4. code3ryder

The semantics of it are pretty funny to me. I'm really having a hard time with the "explosive" nature of these "shocking revelations". Like you said, if I'm rich and I donate 5 million to fund a building, I know my kid is getting in. What's the diff? Someone else deserving is going to get screwed. I also laugh at the "we all deserve an equal shot" shit. Right, what about preferences for genders, minorities, out of state students, and foreign students?

Britt, ducnut, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

:stupid:, at least the new $5M building would benefit the school and all students in the bigger picture. What I don't get is why not just put the $6.5M in a trust fund for your kid, it is then basically set for life without a wall plaque.

Boman Forklift and ducnut like this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I agree. It begs the question, why is this being made such a big deal?
    My hunch is it's partly part of the "eat the rich" campaign" and
    partly to divert attention from the FBI/Justice Dept/Mueller info
    that isn't looking good.

7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I think it is a way for the FBI to try and show that they actually do law enforcement and are something more than a seditious bunch of anti American cunts. It wont work with me.

kangasj, ducnut and jrsamples like this.
  8. code3ryder

Because then they get the ego boost of having their name on a building too.

ducnut likes this.
  9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

They musta had some kinda magic eight ball to know the timing back in 2011.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I didn't say all poor folk.
    Maybe not, but f@ck me running it's funny hearing you talk, doubly so knowing you have an MBA diploma on the wall. :D
    You sure about that? Shall we search for Garth's own statements about his (family-derived) land per-acre value on the open market?

My point was pretty simple and not in any way undermined by your comments. The country has variable opportunity that is strongly leveraged by wealth. Data and analysis support this despite there being many examples where it breaks down.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm not saying the investigation was created as a diversion
    or to prove a point, just that it's being used that way.
    Does this story really seem all that important to you in
    light of all that's going on?

12. Fonda Dix

Prediction: the important people on this deal will get a fine, at most. The unimportant ones will have the book thrown at them and be made an example.

Two tiered justice works that way.

13. Fonda Dix

If your honest kid got denied for Yale this story is probably more important to you than any. YMMV.

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

According to Bernie, all that "land wealth" is going to be worth nothing when farming has to move to the middle of Canada.

15. code3ryder

Isn't it that way with most things nowadays?

16. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good thing they didn't claim native heritage.

tdoss1980 likes this.
  18. condon66

condon66 Member well known

You think one guy masterminding a business out of this and making money as a middle-man is no different than what you describe? Okay.

19. code3ryder

In the end, is it really that much different? A rich person uses their means to get their kid into a college that they have no business being in. People got bribed. Me giving 5 million to a school to ensure my kid gets in is still a bribe. The biggest issue with this whole thing is the tax fraud aspect.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict