1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold weather street tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by deathwagon, Nov 12, 2014.

1. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I just got taken out this morning on my SV 650 street bike when someone decided they needed my lane more than I did. I would have been able to easily avoid the tard, but I locked up the front twice on my way to taking an asphalt sample.

Metzler Sportec M3's SUCK on cold pavement. They have less grip than the 6 year old OEM tires on my Zuma.

Does anyone have recommendations for a cold weather street tire? I'm talking below freezing temps on dry pavement, so no need for ice racing tires :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Used rains?

3. deathwagon

I'm sure I'd enjoy a set of rain tires for both of the miles I could put on them before they'd disintegrate ;)

4. Tristan

You did say sub-freezing temps....I've stayed out on a dry track in warm temps on rains for dozens of laps and not destroyed them.

5. Tristan

Doesn't sound nearly as wacky to me as the idea of commuting on a bike in those temps...

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Just get a sport touring tire. It'll last longer and provide more grip in cold or wet conditions. I used to put Avon Storm II's on my street bikes but it's been a few years. I have mounted lots of the new Michelin PR3(?)'s lately too.

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Metlzer Tourance
    Michelin Anakee
    Nah.
    Maybe something in the Pilot Road series? Or Dunlop Roadsmarts?

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Love Pilot Road 3s! Just mounted a PR4. We'll see if it's an improvement.

9. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

PR3's on my street R1 grip great in sub freezing temps.......as they were the other morning when I rode to work.

10. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Bridgestone Blizzak

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Is the bike and yourself okay? Did the guy that bank shotted you into the corner pocket stop?

12. deathwagon

Thanks for asking, Dave. I'm just a little banged up. Fortunately, I've become very tubby and now I just bounce like a blob of chicken fat. The driver didn't stop, probably didn't even know he got me. The bike fared remarkably well, just needs a new radiator, shift lever and some paint on the fender and tail section.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

13. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Race rain take-offs last surprisingly Ok if you only ride them when it's cold. Way better grip. But of course they're not DOT-approved so that's a concern (say if something serious happens and investigation finds out).

I also run very low tire pressures if I use regular DOT tires, seems to make a big difference. Carcass needs to flex to generate heat and starting on a cold tire the whole thing is stiffer then when it's warm to begin with, and it just never gets any heat if pumped up to recommended psi.

The new Pilot Powers seem to have a fairly squishy carcass. No comment on how the compound works in the cold yet tho.

14. deathwagon

Good point on the PSI. I usually run 32 PSI up front, but drop it down to 28 for the cold weather. Maybe I should play with the PSI a bit to see how low I can go without it feeling like a fat girl on a waterbed.

15. slowzx6

slowzx6 Well-Known Member

I have Michelin power pures on my 675. They do pretty well. They are stiff when cold but with the dropped a couple of pounds they heat up fairly quick.

16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Hey man,glad you're okay,first off!!! I'm using 2cts,and they pretty darn good. Before these I used my thruxton year-round with Avon road rider am26 and those were phenomenal in freezing temperatures,and foul wet weather.I don't know if those come in sv650 sizes,but if they do,I'd go with those.

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I HATE the tires you mentioned also!!!!

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why?

And at what pace?

19. SCHMITTY91

SCHMITTY91 Well-Known Member

I had the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's on my CBR1000 when it was my only mode of transportation and rode it year round even in sub freezing temps and I never had any traction problems!

20. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I have put nearly 80,000 miles on Pirelli Strada/Angels over the years, lots of sub-freezing riding and they have never slipped. Except once when I hit some black ice :)
    But otherwise great tire in the cold. Ridden them in a bit of snow over the years and they even fair "ok" when the ice on the road is somewhat dry.

I'm currently running a set of PR3's and so far so good, but I cannot comment on their cold weather handling.