1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutchless downshifting/ Auto-blipping

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Dec 27, 2015.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

I hate blipping. I can do it, I've gotten used to it, but I hate it and it keeps me up at night. Is there a product that will fit an 08 zx10r that will either auto-blip or do clutchless downshifts? I've seen such products on old threads for Yamaha (fly by wire throttle?) but can't find it for Kawasaki.

Dragginass likes this.
  2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

3. Can't you learn how to do these things without relying electronics due to a lack of proper fundamentals?

I think all these auto shifting things and electronic wiz bang crap are awesome for guys looking for that extra .1 here and there but all of those guys could bang downshifts and ride a motorcycle without it.

Make a list on what you suck at and go to the track and work on it. Never stop working on it. This is part of riding and racing. I have marble notebooks full of notes and things I work on every single time I throw a leg over my race bike.

But you know what they say about opinions and assholes...

4. TheGrouchyCat

Appreciate the link and appreciate the opinion. Yea to be honest it looks pricey and chances are I won't get one at least for a while. But I think the fact that it takes so much attention away from rev matching and clutch levering, that you can focus more on feeling the front end and getting the perfect line. Just my inexperienced opinion.

5. I've read pretty much all your posts on here and you seen quite interested in riding. You're still fairly inexperienced which is fine, its where we all started.

People have hinted at this before and I'll say it again, you should get a smaller bike and learn the fundamentals of riding fast on track. Two years on an sv or something similar will have you faster than if you spent 10 years on that 1000.

Go look at lwt lap times, if they are faster than what you're doing on your 1000 then....

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  6. TheGrouchyCat

I do believe that as a fact, I found that my old 250 really helped me learn street riding. And as I've said before I've kept my zx10r for sale on multiple markets (facebook, craiglist, forums), I'm just assuming it won't sell at this point for my own sanity. I'd like to at least get one more trackday or complete the race school on my zx10 to see how comfortable/fast I can really get on it, as I've felt really comfortable so far and haven't had any issues with the amount of power. I haven't seen my laptimes (go pro got run over) so I can only speculate. If I end up on a lightweight for 2016 that's awesome, I'm just betting on the green machine for the time being. :)

7. TheGrouchyCat

I try to be independent while also understanding my ignorance and making wise choices. It's a hard trio to balance.

8. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Even the best technique is sometimes replaced by technology. No need to hang on to the past. Auto blipping is here to stay.

Dragginass and Gorilla George like this.
  9. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I've stopped blipping under hard braking as you don't need to with a slipper. It helps with brake pressure as you're not moving your wrist and one less thing to do while trying to brake as late as possible. There are times when it's still a useful technique and the electronics would make things much easier.

I looked at purchasing that system and it is expensive but also illegal for our national series so I did without.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

One of the techniques I learned at Pridmore's school was downshifting without blipping via slipping the clutch. Allowing you to better maintain consistent pressure on the brakes. He has youtube videos demonstrating it if you are so inclined. I haven't had enough track time to really nail it, as I've always blipped and it's a habit now. But there are some situations where it really shines.

11. TheGrouchyCat

I'll look that up today on youtube

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So don't blip.

Dragginass and Gorilla George like this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ya know what buddy?!?

I'm getting a little tired of your logical, susynct, common sense approach to EVERYTHING in this place.

Your calm adds nothing to the calamity of this place... (Much like this post adds nothing to this discussion - EDIT my post not your post Eddie. Personally I hate blipping because I suck at it and its refreshing to have a racer of your caliber say that).

:D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Pull in the clutch, brake, click down however many gears you feel is good and use the clutch lever to control the amount of connection to the rear tire. You don't have to blip between every gear. If you can't blip without affecting the amount of brake pressure you are using then using this method may be a better fit to your abilities.

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  15. TheGrouchyCat

I just figured that would burn through the clutch (not blipping). Although only blipping to your final gear sounds appealing, maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time :eek:

16. Venom51

It's only wrong if you repeatedly crash doing it. If you can keep it on the track and your lap times keep improving then it's not wrong. It's just the way you do it. There's a million different ways to skin this particular cat.

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  17. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Slipper helps for sure. I only use the clutch to start and coming to a stop, unless I'm just being lazy, or on the dirty bike in a technical section.

18. TheGrouchyCat

^^ but using the slipper still requires the clutch, just reduces the effect of not blipping on the rear wheel, right? And does it reduce the wear on the clutch?

19. Venom51

You aren't going to kill the clutch. Stop worrying about it. You do more damage to it in a couple of race starts.

Ghost of Casby and throwdown like this.
  20. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Never really cared about the wear ;) Prior to my '05 636, I never owned a bike with slipper clutch. Always had to feather clutch a bit for aggressive down-shifting to keep things from getting out of hand.