1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch not dissengaging

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nsouza707, May 22, 2016.

1. nsouza707

nsouza707 Well-Known Member

I just bought a 09 SV650 to make into a track bike. I got a rather good deal on it because it had been crashed and doesn't move. The crash looks to be rather minor and the previous owner said he put about 700 miles on the bike after the crash before its current issue that I'm now trying to resolve. The bike runs and the engine sounds strong. I can click through all the gears. When I release the clutch nothing happens. If I'm in first it will creep a little, but increasing throttle does nothing. There is no stutter or bog like it was trying to stall or anything with the clutch out. The clutch push rod looks to be in fine shape and not bent/broken. Any ideas on what I should be looking at? I went to take the clutch cover off, but that thing is stuck on there. Is there some secret I'm missing, or is it just really stuck on there good? I also found an abundance of these black flakes in my airbox. Any ideas what the heck that is? Thanks guys

2. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Actually your clutch isn't engaging.

Is the clutch cable moving freely? If I were you I'd remove the clutch cover and the cable, then reassemble everything to make sure nothing is stuck or binding.

3. nsouza707

Clutch cable was moving fine. When I would let the clutch out in first it would tug a little and drag me at a walking pace, but wouldn't cut out if I stopped with the clutch out. I can apply throttle and it makes no difference.

4. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

So something is either keeping the clutch from engaging fully or you have a lot of slip for some reason.

I say get that clutch cover off and inspect all clutch mechanism parts and the clutch plates themselves.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You have to drain coolant and pull all the water pump stuff off to get to the clutch.

It's worn out, I think you'll find black metal plates and fried fibers inside. Change the oil, maybe a couple of times.

6. nsouza707

I can't seem to get this clutch cover off. I've got the water pump loose so I'm afraid to tug a little too hard on that. Am I missing something or just need to pull harder? I've always had the clutch covers practically fall off.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you can see the impeller, then you've pulled the cover, which has bolts that also hold the clutch cover on. Since the clutch itself is probably fried, it's overheated, probably has not been changed in modern times. The dowels are corroded. Tap around the cover with a deadblow and knock it loose.

8. nsouza707

I was tapping on it a bit last night. I'll go out after I have some breakfast and bang on it some more. Think a little heat would help?

9. nsouza707

I think it was the clutch lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's likely there are pieces of that in the sump. You need to check the screen.

Banditracer, emry and TurboBlew like this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

amen to this... plus Id look at the oil pump too! :D

12. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Looks like an R6 street bike..... "No i don't slip the clutch...."

There is shit everywhere in that motor. Clean it.

Banditracer and TurboBlew like this.