1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'clubman' bars on sumos?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've seen a few different schools using Sumos for training, running upside down bars as poor man's clubmans. Is there any merit to this setup in an actual road race setting? Clearly it'd mean no foot out shenanigans but I wonder if it'd help at all on long straights to try and get into a better tuck, and feel any better when hanging off?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Can't corner low with apehangers. :D

3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Pssht. Says you

upload_2020-9-6_9-51-49.jpeg

TurboBlew and britx303 like this.
  4. fastfreddie

Ha. I actually meant apehangers, just giving an indication that higher isn't better for what riding was being queried.

turbulence likes this.
  5. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I want to try flipping my bars but I also dont want to spend $100+ on some mounts and take the time to switch it up only to go back lol. Im happy with my FS how it is stock with the bars in the rear position, i'd like slightly shorter bars but i'll wait until I bend these in a crash

6. fastfreddie

I'm not understanding the issue in flipping the bars. Is there a crossbar?

Shorter bars? Do you not own a hacksaw/sawzall/cut-off grinder (also a cure for a crossbar)? Why wait for a disaster to create a solution? Are you sure you're gonna want the increased force necessary to leverage the shorter bars?

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Grab the fork in the straights and have fun... If it is really more aerodynamically challenged take a dump before your race!