1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clear Face Shields

Discussion in 'General' started by kiggy74, Jul 22, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I know a guy that's a master at changing Arai visors. I could never get the hang of it.
    For me, it's Shoei all the way. If I raced, prolly Bell...for the Flex/MIPS liner.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Bobby?

3. fastfreddie

You know it! That guy is unbelievable, like a Wizard or some shit. Almost literally in the blink of an eye.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, he's quite proud of that and will take any opportunity to brag about it. :D

5. joec

joec brace yourself

My bell came with a transitions visor and I bought a dark smoke for it for track use. I like a dark visor at the track. But damned the transitions visor goes totally dark. And it's perfectly clear when it's dark out the few times I've used it at night for errands. It's a year old and came that way from bell. Its awesome.

stk0308 and SuddenBraking like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Maybe I'm weird or wasn't smart enough to do it right but I HATED the Arai shield change. Suomy was better but with Arai I just found it easier to have one helmet with a dark tint and something set up for rain (clear or yellow).

and why did the helmet manufacturers have to get all complicated with the shield mechanism? The two screws on a Bell M2 was easy and you could so it with a washer or a quarter or dime.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screws? Weirdo.

8. fastfreddie

Ha! Maybe, but I've never seen anyone else do it so effortlessly. 'Course, could be the result of lotsa dead-time behind the counter with nothin' better to do. :D
    He's retired now, if you hadn't heard. Moved to the Asheville area and Bobby-upped a Ducati Scrambler to terrorize critters on the parkway. :cool:

K51000 likes this.
  9. :stupid:

I couldn't change the fucking things to save my life. The only Arai I had years ago only got 2 visor changes, and Kyle did those 2 changes. I couldn't do it and was about to shitcan it. I was never able to successfully change an Arai visor.

As far as clear visors, I don't like them. I wear dark smoke 99% of the time, or if the weather is really shitty I will wear light smoke. If the weather is questionable, ill have one of each on a different helmet and make the decision prior to going out.

10. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

What Toe says. Have this setup on my AGV 5-s and it's the tits. Also has little channels on the side specifically for glasses. Great lid I got from the Dainese store in Orlando for a bargain .

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yup AGV and same with the glasses.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You just answered your own question ;)

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

....oh and Arai's are a piece of cake to swap shields, I know its quirky and different but its not difficult or impossible. There's tons of videos on youtube showing how its done. Its super fast and easy.

14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yes for DOT it has to have the clear installed. We have a few helmets that include a tinted in the box but it’s never installed. One word-lawyers.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I know. Beautiful property. I hope he's happy there.

16. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Enough people have commented the complete opposite in this thread. I’ve watched videos, seen an Arai rep do it in person, and none of it makes a difference to me. It’s damn near impossible for me to change those shields.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah I know...but its weird. It's like I get it but at the same time I don't get it. I can see it being tricky the first couple times you try it and getting frustrated, but as soon as you figure it out its like so simple to do.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Main thing is to get over the breaking things fear :D

Chango likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

You mean like trying to piece OEM bodywork together? Tabs A into slots B while sliding tab C into slot D - fit, fit, slide, SNAP! OhWTF... :crackup:

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just have a dark smoke, light smoke and a clear in my helmet bag and choose whichever one is best for what i will be doing.
    And for the safety of others, if you have issues with changing shields please do not work on your own motorcycle...:D