1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clear Face Shields

Discussion in 'General' started by kiggy74, Jul 22, 2018.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I've got at least 20 of these laying around, most of them new from helmets I've bought over the years. What I don't get is why the helmet manu's default to a clear shield shipping with the helmet. Why not make the face shield color optional? I get they are making money on selling tinted shields as accessories, but nearly all my clear shields end up in the garbage. Hell, sell the helmets without a face shield at all and reduce cost buy a few bucks.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I buy helmets from TJ I automatically tell him to include the price of a tinted shield in the total price. Maybe it's a DOT thing that they have to be sold with a clear shield?

3. joec

joec brace yourself

I love the transitions shields.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I won't buy a helmet without an inner visor. Best compromise. No more changing face shields.

K51000 likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Believe it or not, there are places in the world where people ride at night, in the rain, or in foggy conditions. :D

6. fastedyamaha

For sure, but doesn't everyone do an @Chaotic and have 1 helmet with a tinted shield and another helmet with a clear shield? I do because I freaking hate changing shields on my arai and just keep a clear shield on an older helmet that's no longer within the 5 year window for racing.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unless I'm in a yellow or persimmon mood I use clear way more than tinted. Granted when I ride the days tend to be shorter and the weather less than idea. I just use sunglasses under clear for the sunny portions.

8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Is it that bad? Serious question.

Takes me 10 seconds max on my Shoei.

9. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Takes 10 secs on an Arai before they changed the design on the X. Now it’s more like 25 secs. :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No it's not bad at all. I can do an Arai in 10 or under too. Same for my HJC's and the bosses Shoei.

Edited to add all my Arais are the older version.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Arai -
    Off= Click, click, Rip!
    On= Slam!

Eveything else-
    Push, squeeze, fiddle fiddle

ineedanap, TLR67 and BHP41 like this.
  12. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I would imagine there is a legal reason for helmets coming with clear shields. The first time some dope crashes at night with a tinted one that came from the manufacturer, lawsuit.

motoboy likes this.
  13. fastedyamaha

I've never been able to do it smoothly or quickly. I've watched Isle of Man races when they literally rip them out and slam them back in in about 5 seconds. I've broken more side pods than I care to count trying to swap shields. I about sh%t my pants when I changed the shield on my new arai and the whole holder popped off on that little string. I don't have a clue on why it's so easy for most people and impossible for me to do. :(

14. kiggy74

Unless you're riding around the poles there's generally more daylight hours than night. Besides,I can ride lightly tinted shield at night no problem. But I can't ride a clear shield during the day if its sunny. Sunglasses inside a helmet suck too, especially on long rides.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You work third shift?

You need better sunglasses :D

16. kiggy74

Or a less oddly shaped head. Ear stems dig in like a mofo.

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I had to look up what that was.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Straight temples help. I do have shades that work in helmets and some that don't. Granted I also had to get used to the feeling since I wore glasses to see for a long time when riding.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

And some helmet's liners are designed to work with glasses.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That is factually incorrect. You might want to check on that again.

And while you can do something to block sunlight inside a clear shield (sunglasses), there is nothing you can do to make a dark shield brighter. So from a manufacturing standpoint, it makes sense to go with clear as the default.

Sabre699 likes this.