1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean water act

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the Cato Institute on everything, but in the past, they have acknowledged when their positions did not align with the data and were entirely based on libertarian principle. I can respect that honesty. I also often agree with them.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I recommend listening to Charles Koch's lengthy sit down on the Tim Ferris podcast. I learned some things. Other people might too.

Montoya likes this.
  3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Can you give a specific example or two that we can go to and read about?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Overall I'd need to do a LOT more reading up on all of this. More regulations about saving the planet always sound great but there is a balancing point and the EPA can get absolutely beyond crazy in getting more control and more regs because that of course means more budget. Just a gut feeling but I think a lot of the recent regulations were for feels and not actual reasons, getting rid of them wouldn't do anything but put us back where we were which was doing pretty damn good at taking care of the environment. It's not like they're rolling back to allowing PCBs dump in harbors and so on.

cav115 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is this stance? What specifically is being allowed by rolling back the EPA regs that shouldn't be?

6. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Standing on the principle of rolling back legislation that didn’t take the prescribed course regardless of its merit.

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, got ya. Torn on that one.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That really didn't say much of anything. As others noted the issue goes back to the original act not the current regs being rolled back. As for people owning the water/waterways on their land I'm good with that - however they still can't do anything they want without any penalties, that's just silly. There are tons of things that are illegal no matter how the waterway is labeled or who is considered the owner of it.

Looking at a couple of the linked articles I think overall rolling it back is a very good thing. We've got two acres, of which .5-.75 is sloped land into a valley on each side of the yard, both of which have intermittent streams in them - basically they are gutters for when it rains like it is today. It'd be pure and utter bullshit for some government lacky to take away 1/4 - 1/3 of my property because they think I might use the wrong fertilizer on my lawn some day - even if that wrong fertilizer is illegal as hell anyway.

Buckwild and Spang308 like this.
  10. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Aye I’m gaining some perspective for sure. There’s a few good examples and I can honestly say I learned some shit.

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

putting paper in place that don’t need to be there. But done so to take power away from the States in order to give the illusion that you’re “doing something”

hows that?

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a very small creek that runs through my property. After a flood a few years ago the creek was completely blocked and was causing water to run over the road damaging what passes for pavement in our neck of the woods. Anyways, I got down there with my tractor and started to clean the mess up so the creek could flow in its channel. I was stopped from working on it and threatened with a substantial fine. After the c*nt left I finished the work. The truly funny thing is I was told I could do the work but only if I did it by hand with hand tools. What kind of f*cking sense does that make? Yeah, just let the road wash away and someone crash into the ditch....

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So what is enough regulation? I love how people that support over regulation say you hate clean water, it is like you hate children/old people/etc. IMO a ton of Obma era regulations went way to far. A perfect example was the lead one that almost stopped importing motorcycles for kids (thankfully repealed prior to implementation) On the water front have you noticed the half a billion watershed signs that went up everywhere? Federal over reach at its best.

14. Montoya

If you're earnestly interested, you can go to the Federal Register, it's reasonably easy to navigate. While a lot of lobbying of course happens behind closed doors and at dinner parties, they generally have to publicly post their public rationales on the register.

15. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

OH, it's OMB. TDS.

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Where's the pressure on China and other Asian countries to put their laws in place to protect THEIR clean waterways?

We are less than a third of their population, ya think they might just product a shit ton of (pun intended) of just Human waste daily?
    Not to mention all their military and industrial waste. Think they give a shit about polluting a neighboring stream? Think again.

17. In Your Corner

Another one that wants me to research his argument. No.
    If you have nothing specific then you have nothing period.

18. Montoya

You may be confused, I am not arguing nor asking you to research anything.

19. In Your Corner

I asked you for an example or two, not to be sent to a huge body of information.