1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cherry Popped VIR 8/2-8/3

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by MikeR, Aug 4, 2014.

1. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Had a complete blast this weekend! Started out with race school on Saturday morning with Huey teaching along with a couple of practice sessions. :up: to Huey and the way he went through the class and preparing us for what was about to happen. I came away with no questions and was comfortable with the entire process. He did hold us in class until after first call for both our mock race and our first race of the day C superstock. :eek: lol!

Lined up on the grid for the mock race. I was a little nervous about the start as I haven't practiced a launch in years! Flag drops and I nailed it! That would end up being my best start of the weekend. Ran my own race and finished first.:rock:

C Superstock Saturday. I was in race school class when they had posted up starting grids so my buddies were kind enough to tape my position on my tank. Roll around to the grid after warm-up lap and find my position on the grid. As I'm sitting there on the far right, I see an official briefly on the left side of the track further down but, noticed nothing more. This was a bad thing and my own mistake for not checking before the race. About the same time I noticed people around me holding up two fingers so I though, ok, #2 board is up so get ready we'll be going to the #1 board soon:eek: Sadly for me, this wasn't what they were signaling and Iwould find that out shortly. #1 board goes, green flag drops and I start to launch..........with the first of two waves. I'm second wave:mad: I catch my mistake immediately and stop myself basically just outside my "box".

I'm pissed. I know any chance of a decent race is now gone as I will get the meatball for my mistake. Green flag then drops for 2nd wave and I get a good launch. I make several positions into and out of turn one. Speaking of which.....wow was that tight! Thought I was about to pack fudge and be anal punched all at the same time!:D Clean first lap and I was running good and felt good. Picked up my meat ball at start/finish and completed another clean lap holding position. I was later told I had been running 7th up until I served my penalty at the completion of lap two. The race was prettly lonely from then on although I managed to finish 16th.

C Superbike Sunday. Yes I probably would have been better off running superstock again but I wanted to experience this class as well. Started dead last. Got the worst start of the weekend as far as launches go as I lifted the front wheel a bit but, I still managed to gain several positions into and watch out of one again. From there I stayed in a pretty tight battle with my buddy Daniel #320. Stayed on his tail through the race and started working on my best spots to make a pass. It was either the second to last lap or the last lap (can't remember through the blur) that I decided to make an attempt in turn one where I was stronger. Going into the braking zone and onto the brakes I was coming along side his tail to the inside. This is when I noticed the waving yellow in one so I backed out of the pass. The down rider happened to be fellow race school participant Caleb (DevildogAE) who I had battled just a lap or previously. He had passed me on the brakes into the top of the roller coaster where I had been weak all weekend. I took the position back exiting 17 onto the front stretch. The following lap is when I seen him down in turn one. Hope you're ok buddy!
    Backed to the last lap coming out of the yellow at turn one I knew my next strongest and probably best chance for a pass on #320 was into turn seven up the inside. I was set up in position coming onto the brakes and starting to make the move. It appeared he was taking a different line through 7 and things were starting to get tight on the inside. I feel I could have made the pass but, thought better of it as it would have been tight and I didn't want to stand him up. I thought to myself.....this is the last lap of my last race for my first race weekend. Be smart and bring it home, so that's what I did! I finished 11th.

Great experience throughout the entire weekend. Nice putting a face to a few names around here. Want to send a shout out and thank you to my buddies Daniel Reagan, Jason Doss and Mark Watkins who helped me throughout the weekend wether it was advice,pointers or taking care of my warmers and stands when I was coming/leaving the pits. I appreciate it fellas! Also, thanks again to Huey for getting the info we needed across and making sure we were ready during the race school. Can't wait until next time! What a blast:bow:

For the Tl:Dr crowd-
    Mock Race-1st - it counts to me so suck it!:D

C Superstock saturday-Jump start, meatball, 16th

C Superbike Sunday-11th

2. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Just saw this! You're more than welcome and it was an honor getting to teach the WERA school and you guys. Everyone did awesome the rest of the weekend (even with a few oopsies).

Congrats on the mock-race finish! Hahahahaha

3. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Thanks man! Seriously, you did a great job getting us through it:up:

Hey, I'll take what I can get lol!:crackup:

4. infinite29

infinite29 New Member

Thanks man :rock: