1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 12, 2019.

1. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ahh, bummer....I was unsure of that since I never had to actually try either of them to find out.

3. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Is it just the 5 episodes?

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yes.....and not a single screen minute wasted.

CRA_Fizzer and Jed like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Amazon HBO free trial here I come!!!

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can't you guys get HBO Go for just a month? Most of your people spend more than that on beer for an evening.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

They have priorities.

MachineR1 and rcarson15 like this.
  8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I may or may not charge a yearly pro rata share for access to my Hulu account if anyone wants in

Lawn Dart likes this.
  9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

The amount of great content on HBO Go is so worth the money. I've always just paid the $17 a month or whatever it is because I love their shows, but now that I don't have Direct TV for awhile I'm enjoying the hell out of the HBO app on my tv.

10. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

The show, Ballers is worth it on its own.

Plus all the other great programming including GOT.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Re-watching Band of Brothers when the urge arises (or The Pacific though not as good).

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I like both of these... I think Band of Brothers starts out better than it ends, while The Pacific gets better as it goes on...

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread, prefer actual fact-based documentaries.

15. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I read this the other day, and I feel like the writer does this just to have a differentiater about the show - others completely rave about it. The creator says that he intentionally made some creative decisions to compress the narrative... For example, the woman, Khomyuk, is totally made up. In actuality, it was an entire team of scientists who helped Legasov. There's no way one woman could have uncovered all of that herself in the USSR at that time. The team worked together to uncover some truths and help Legasov formulate his perspective on the tragedy. If they'd done things exactly like reality, it would've involved hundreds, it would've been boring as hell, and slow.

Some of this, they never kept records, or the stories that existed had conflict - he even says that he tried to go with the less dramatic/sensational versions where he could.

Obviously, its a docu-drama. I mean, no one spoke with an English accent, but enough of it is true that it makes for a compelling story, and I think his theme of "What do lies cost us?" is well played and accurate enough.

jksoft, jbammin and Sprinky like this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Also, like Khomyuk personified the hundreds of scientists that dug up the truth, Dyatlov personified the dozens, if not hundreds of people making piss-poor decisions that led to the event in the first place.

Without compressing the good and the bad into one protagonist & one antagonist it would have been a 500 hour series instead of 5, and it would have been boring as shit.

The story of the physical event itself was told well. That was the key. The stories of the surrounding people HAD TO be compressed since it affected FAR MORE than the official 31.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  17. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The SL1 accident is extensively studied as part of the Nuclear engineering curiculum. I never heard that it was ruled suicide? What was studied was prompt criticality caused by the rapid removal of negative reactivity (ie the central control rod). Remember, this was a military reactor and an early one at that. The designs are much different from commercial reactors. The poor fellow who pulled the central rod was impaled into the reactor building ceiling by the rod. When we pulled rods to start up the reactor it was a very slow and methodical process taking many hours just to get to the point of adding heat. Full power from a "cold" shutdown would take a couple of days. Of course a good bit of that was slowly allowing everything to come up the equilibrium temperature.

aaronson likes this.
  19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

SL1 was also the catalyst that formalized reactor operations in the USA. The ad hoc nature of operations up to that point were considered a major contributing factor to that incident.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Scary thing about nuclear reactors: Until you fuck up big time, you don't know what is a big time fuckup.

NemesisR6 likes this.