1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way to get going?

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Jun 21, 2017.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

So, I just moved less than a 30 min drive to the first and one of my favorite tracks Ive ridden. I need to, over the next year quietly a mass and dedicate some funds to track time. What would in your experience be the cheapest way to get to and be on the track. Looking for the cheapest hauler and bike combo. I do not have a truck, and would need to retrofit a hitch to my SUV. So... go give my your cheapest ideas.

BTW all ideas will be fought by the wife as we are neck deep in renos for probably the next decade.

2. Cheapest? Ninja 250 already prepped. Harbor freight trailer from craigslist and get going. Go through the bike front to back and same with the trailer. Sub $3k.

VFR#52, dtalbott, rk97 and 4 others like this.
  3. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

+1 to the ninja 250. They can be had for under 2k, and a cheap trailer can be <500$. You can slap 120's front and rear so you can get used take offs for next to nothing.

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

He's right ya know.

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

get the wife on board with your "need for track time", or the "fight" will be more than over track time.

c'mon dits, we expect more out of ya. Ski

he's right you know.jpg

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I thought he asked about motorcycles not mopeds. :Poke:

I did my first eight AMA races with a Pontiac Grand Am and later a Dodge Intrepid towing an open 6x10 aluminum trailer. Where there is a will, there is a way. Put a hitch on your SUV and get a cheap rail trailer.
    The only trade off is you can't sleep on a rail trailer. :D

BigBird likes this.
  7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I know. No computer at home. Photobucket or imgur is a pain in the ass on the phone.

8. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I started on an old $900 EX500 and a $300 single rail trailer. It made me really focus on corner speed since there's no power to hide your mistakes. I might go with a newer 250/300 if it fits your budget.

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

u can even find track prepped late-2000's 600 for <$4k. 650s, 250s, etc will def be under that. some tires, a HF trailer, good gear, and go ride.

11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

If you're neck deep in reno's for the next decade. You NEED a van for HD runs. Shame it'll haul a bike and make an impromptu camper for weekend stress relief :)

BigBird likes this.
  12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I would also suggest an EX500. Stock wheels use the same dinky tires that go on the EX250 so there are takeoffs out there, there are approximately 47 classes you can run with the 500, parts are everywhere and affordable and best of all these bikes are cheap. Cheaper than 250s (at least modern 250s, if you buy an old style 250 then you have to convert it to 17" wheels). Look around and 1500 or less will usually get you a decently setup bike, the last few I've seen have been right at 1k.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

There's cheap and then there's inexpensive....Do yourself a favor and don't buy a piece of cr*p as it will cost more in the long run and cause you to miss track time. If unfamiliar with the basics of a purchase, ask for help, lots of it around. Go with a smaller, lighter bike best way to learn AND everything from tires to gas is less expensive.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  14. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Buy something that has already been race-prepped and save yourself money and hassle in the long run. (but not from Clarence or Babuska)

rcarson15, roy826ex, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  15. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Sabotaging a future "buyer beware" thread.

G 97 likes this.
  16. sowega

sowega #710

A mototote on an SUV is cheaper that a trailer, especially if you're just carrying a 250.

pscook likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Key distinction..... does "track time" mean racing or just track days? If racing, then a 250/300 and HF trailer. If track days, prepped older 600 or SV. I can't advise on the whole wife situation..... you dug your own grave on that one.

MachineR1 and pscook like this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I like my Mototote, but a HF trailer and a 5 year tag from https://mainetrailerregistrations.com/pricing/ costs less. Fuel savings don't matter 30 minutes from the track.

19. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Rent a wood-chipper.

G8rDuc likes this.
  20. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Cheapest way would be to reconsider. How far away is the nearest E-kart track? More affordable and the opportunities are unlimited. You could live your life .xxx01 at a time. Everything else is just waiting.

badmoon692008 and minman26 like this.