1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap way to build / buy a glass office desk

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Trying to figure a way to put together a glass top home office desk without spending a ton. Any clever ways to do that?

Or hell, a cheap place to buy one.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Buy a desk.

Get a glasier to cut you a glass top for it.

Put glass top on desk.

Rejoice!

K51000 likes this.
  3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

There has to be a better way. Maybe stack a few stained pallets on both sides with glass on top, or get two vintage filing cabinets.... something that will have character to it. Maybe something to match a mossin table I build last year.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

That's amazing. :crackup:

6. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Alternately, it may be more feasible to build a time machine, then travel back to 1983 when glass-top desks were in vogue. You can say hi to Gordon Gekko!

JJJerry likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Last one was interesting. Not big enough.

On a mechanical note. How much weight a 72"x30" tempered glass top can support if it sits between two filing cabinets? Would it need extra support in the middle?

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Long time, Rick. How are things. That is way too small for my needs, and no real character.

12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I found a 6'x4' 40s or 50s secretaries desk dirt cheap at a garage sale many years ago (Had the slide out side for the small "that era" typewriter and everything). Built like a tank but a little beat up, especially the top. Got it home and after some restoration ( sanding and re-staining), it looked pretty brilliant. Top was beyond help though. I removed it and flipped it. Cut a piece of cardboard to size (don't laugh) and covered that with some cheap green fabric. Had a local glass shop cut me a piece of finished edge 1/4" glass to lay on the fabric. Came out great and i'll bet I have less than $175 in it. Too bad the ex kept it but I realistically don't have the room for it anyways!:crackup:

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

No character, just like a Honda. I figured it was right up your alley.

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Where are you at? We have a glass desk we’ll sell cheap.

15. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Why hate on honda? My last few bikes were Yamahas, and the only one left is a Triumph.

16. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

North of ATL. But I am trying to get some inspiration on a cool office desk build. Most of what I have seen on sale were bland at best

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think there are still pics on google of Steve Caseys (RIP) work. He had a table that had ends shaped like a
    triangle but the point was the supporting leg. The flat area held the table surface.
    (similar to below without the extra legs)
    [​IMG]

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Go get some metal piping from HD, build a frame.

Go to glass shop and have them cut you the glass.

Done. Hipster and Industrial and shit.

19. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

PVC from Lowes or Home Depot. Make frame. Lay glass on top.