1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHawk VS Capit

Discussion in 'General' started by JBowen33, Nov 4, 2019.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I have sets of BOTH.. the initial strap that first goes around the wheels, on the high end cap it, is suspect at best. Very thin and flimsy. Not sure how long it will last before i have to have another strap sewn on.. And real bummer, no side curtains. Yes, highest temp may be a tad higher, but the overall fit, and quality of the CH is superior IMO.

JBowen33 likes this.
  2. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Are you running Michelin's?

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Pirelli SC0

4. JBowen33

yeah that’s unacceptable for the price they want for those

5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Chicken Hawk is to warmers what Pit Bull is to stands.

Save the money of buying Capits THEN Chicken Hawks later.

ekraft84, JBowen33 and MELK-MAN like this.
  6. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

My Chicken Hawks got a hot spot after several years of use, so I decided to give Capit a try. I used the Suprema Vision digital version all year with great results. The only strange thing is that they must constantly cycle on and off because the generator rpm is up and down, up and down. My buddy got the Suprema Spina single temp and they don’t have this issue. The insulation is better on the digitals, but both sets performed well.

JBowen33 likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Both are great products, but I'd personally give the nod to CH, since Dave is located only about an hour and change from me and has great customer service.

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

My first ever set of the uber top dollar CH warmers died on the start of my 3rd track day. I called customer service and the lady said in a very accusing tone "Well are you sure you're taking care of them"

If I could have reached through the phone to deliver an uppercut I would have. I just dropped $700 on a set of warmers. I took better care of those fucking things than I take care of myself. But, they did fix it, so that's nice. But I was charged shipping, which in my eyes is pretty shitty. But anyways.

About 6 TD's later, same issue happened to the front warmer. The thermostat died in each of them, so the digital read out temp jumped all over the place and didn't work. Same deal, pay the shipping and it got fixed. At least I wasn't accused of abusing the warmers.

After that, the stitching on the neoprene sides started to come apart, very bad. Sold those things and haven't bought another set of CH since.

Had another set of CH warmers. Took picture, sent email to see if they were fixable or too old. Was told they could fix them. Mailed them in. Got phone call saying they are too old to fix.

I am not debating anyone else's experience with them, but holy fuck, any time I've had to deal with them, it's been nothing but shit for me. Been on the Capit train for the last 5 years.

JBowen33 likes this.
  9. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Just an FYI the Maxem digitals can reach 212 degrees if desired. I only recommend them because they have exceptional customer service and the 3 year warranty is reassuring.

JBowen33 likes this.
  10. JBowen33

I checked them out. Trying to figure out how they make that temp with less power consumption. In theory,to me, warmers are a simple concept. More power consumption = more heat. Have you used them?

11. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Reason I like them is the customer support and hearing bad stories of other warmers crapping out in a year or two. Just hit them up and they'll answer all your questions.

12. MELK-MAN

the even heat distribution on both seem good, we have a thermal image gun and we checked em both out at Daytona a couple weeks ago, but the CH just seem better quality overall as i said before.. Do you hear stories of some having bad experiences with warmer companies ? especially on this forum ? (imagine that! lol) , of course. But for every bad experience with CH you hear about, consider just how many MORE sets of CH there are out there vs other brands. (it's like for trucks, yea, you hear a lot of shit about ford trucks, but, they outsell every other truck brand out there combined).
    The pro version have 170 feet of winding vs 70' on their standard warmers. and for me, the side curtains and really and wide velcro straps are a big deal. I had JUST replaced one set of pro version CH warmers after over 10 years of racing on 2 sets. I had literally worn the shiny coating off the front warmers from putting in and out of the fender over entire seasons, for 10 years (may have been more). I was using the 3 position warmer as i didn't want to deal with the digital setting, but having some cap it warmers with the digital box mounted on the warmer, i may spring the bit extra on CH if i get another set with the digital box.
    Made in USA.. good customer service in most cases.. it's where id spend my money personally.

standard ch warmer on left with 70 linear feet of heat element, pro version with 170' of winding on the right.
    [​IMG]

TurboBlew, NemesisR6 and jd41 like this.
  13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The CHR's are top notch, as mentioned. And their customer support is excellent.

Note - stopped running the digital boxes in their Pro Line as they got in the way and seemed unnecessary. The three temps always worked great for us. Whether it was for an SC2, 1, 0, -1, etc.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ok, indulge me... please elaborate. Did your Pirelli vendor tell you that the SC0 need a certain warmer temp or are you going by some published operating temps of the different compounds?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

indeed.. 3 position switch has been nice. flip it and forget it.

16. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I've got woodcrafts that are 4 years old and still work and some Chickenhawk standard that are 3 years old and work great. Just picked up a set of CH for my supermoto, they're the older ones without curtains but were new in box. No complaints but i prefer the woodcraft ones overall i think

17. CH, great product, great people who stand behind their products.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm going to be the curmudgeon I guess... I'm not a fan of Woodcraft warmers. I've got a set, they stand behind them which is great, I love the thermostat loop through that shuts the warmers down when you unplug them, great stuff. My list of complaints however:

- They still don't have good strain relief in the warm/hot switch assembly. The new switch is better about this than earlier models but still could be better.

- The fleece curtains and stitching constantly fray if there are ANY even remotely pointy shapes they go by, leaving black fluffy balls of material that wrap around everything.

- One size fits all means they're great on a bike with a 180 to 200 series rear tire, on a 165 sumo rim the retaining strap is too long, the velcro section on it too short so it doesn't really grab. Running a 140, well, I wouldn't use them but they claim they're good to go on that size tire too.

- That quick disconnect coupler is not designed for the number of cycles it sees, or the amperage being run through it so it loosens up pretty rapidly with use.

19. JBowen33

I agree. I have never had Woodcraft warmers but almost every set I’ve seen in the paddock was falling apart and was not pumping out the heat they should when tested.