1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chatterbox bike/bike communications

Discussion in 'General' started by Phat Chance, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

I am thinking about getting a set of these so I can talk with my 16 year old son while we are traveling on the bikes. Has anyone have any experience with these units? Are they reliable and clear? Recommendations? Where to buy, etc?

2. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I had one "back in the day" and it worked good, hopefully they have improved as far as the "voice activated" system. If you were riding with someone else who also had one, both had to be perfectly set up, or the wind would cut it on and it would be like you were talking, other person would just hear wind, and not be able to tell you that it's doing it. it's a really, really fine line on the sensitivity line.

They did have a PTT (push to talk) button though, never tried it. But overall, it worked good for what it was intended to :)

3. Also got a set "back in the day" for a riding buddy and me; the idea was so we could communicate about dogs and roadkill and sand and gravel and such. Found that we used them more for inane chit-chat, and we quickly started calling them the MindlessChatterbox. Spoiled the whole "zen" thing of riding. Within a week they were back in circulation.

4. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

The PTT works like a dream. Stay away from voice activated. I've used them quite a bit. Can even pick up cell phones when you're bored. I've had chatterbox work at 90mph up to about 200 meters or so.

5. CycleWorx Inc.

CycleWorx Inc. Well-Known Member

Me and a buddy have the Cardio Scala Riders. They work great. The sounds quality is real good. I have received phone calls on the interstate and the person on the other end is surprised when I tell them what I'm doing. I haven't used the Chatterbox so I can't give an opinion on them.

6. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

:crackup: Heard many a thing I wasn't supposed to such as walkie talkie conversations ect come over the headset :crackup:

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My wife and I have used them for 10 years. I like the fact there are no wires (if you use Voice activation). My wife has never tried to get the hang of the VOX, so she uses the PTT. The VOX simply requires that you pay attention. You can hear when you're transmitting, so you just turn the sensitivity down a tad. ALSO, and this is most important!, put the helmet mike RIGHT AT YOUR LIPS. This way you can set the VOX sesitivity to a low value so the exhaust, etc doesn't activate it.
    Good luck....

8. Phat Chance

Sweet, thanks for all the information. Any one out there have a pair they want to part with?

9. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I've used Chatterbox radios a good bit, as intercom with my wife as passenger, as bike to bike with a motorcycle touring business I had a few years ago, and to teach my 16 year old son to ride on the street when he got his first EX500.

There are better units out these days with more bells & whistles, but Chatterbox FRS is very good basic bike to bike comm.

I may still have a few radios on a shelf in my shop, will check tomorrow

10. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

I have a Chatter Box FRS X2. It was used once. Worked great, but my buddy quit riding. I have some extra cords for it too. PM me if you are interested.

11. mxracer95

mxracer95 Well-Known Member

Chatterboxes are great. I always wear mine when riding with others, which I do at least twice a week. Rider-to-rider communication is invaluable on the street. Definitely do not use the VOX. Use the PTT.

They don't work well for warning about road conditions unless the lead bike is out of sight. Hand/leg signals work best for that. Communications work best for warning of cops or giving directions... or pointing out a girl for your 16 y/o son to check out. :)

12. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Chatterbox is cheap and it works like cheap. If you actually want audible, clear communication between rider/passenger as well as a reloable connect to your phone, and iPod, the new 2009-intro Autocomm is the way to go.

http://www.autocom.co.uk/Systems/

A friend of mine and his son picked up the US distributorship on the Autocomm
    They were kind enough to have me send in my helmet for fitting and trial. I found the sound quality to be excellent on all my bikes. from naked to fully-faired. The install into a Scorpion EXO-700 went well, every thing fits so as to be truly unobtrusive. I really like the sound and concept, but riding with music just distracts me too much, because I am brain damaged and ADHD

I did try the cell pone hookup. Called my kid with it, she said it wrkd oof.
    kike, two stars

13. Phat Chance

Tom, How can I get in touch with your friend?

I went to the web site but I don't want to call the UK to ask about these units.

14. ChasingChaos

ChasingChaos Well-Known Member

15. redleader

redleader Member

I have a chatterbox GMRS X1 Bluetooth and I love it. I can connect my iphone to it and listen to music over the bluetooth on rides, it also allows me to control the tracks (forward, backwards, volume, play/pause...) from the chatterbox. There are a bunch of diffrent things out there so be careful which ones you buy.

GMRS X1 (support FRS and GMRS bands like hand-held walkie talkies.) Range is "2 miles" for FRS and "5 miles" for GMRS. Dont expect those ranges, but it is quite far. Also a bluetooth model that will connect to phones and other bluetooth devices.

FRS X2 just like the one above, just no GMRS band. No bluetooth models.

XBi (Several models) These units (as per my understanding) work on some kind of bluetooth type signal and can only connect to up to 3-4 other XBi units. They must be paired with the other units before hand, and will not communicate with any non-XBi units. Range is also not as far as the GMRS/FRS models. These can connect to phones and other bluetooth devices.

I havent researched the Scala units as much as the chatterbox, but from what i remember, they work just like the XBi units... as in they have to be paired before hand with each other and will only work with other Scala units (and only a few at a time)

The reason I went with the GMRS X1 chatterbox is it works with an unlimited number of people, and they just need to have a FRS or GMRS radio. We use them at trackdays where the track monitors have chatterboxs or 2-way radios in one ear, and grid or the tower can call them (via radio) to alert them of problem riders. Works great.

16. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

My buddy and I bought the Chatter Boxes when they first came out. They were a good product back in the day, and I can only imagine that they have improved. Sometimes it was convenient, but mostly I found it extremely distracting. I would be out front with my knee on the ground in the mountains and without fail would come something like, "HEY MAN, ARE YOU GETTING HUNGRY?" Scared the shit out of me several times and I put them away.

17. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot to post this sold last month.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Autocomm makes really good stuff.

19. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Me and a few friends have the scala rider q2 and it's pretty damn awesome if you ask me. A lot more sleek than a chatterbox too.

20. HighWay

HighWay Well-Known Member

Sena SMH10

Great sound worked better than chatterbox I had a few years ago.