1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlottesville, VA

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Aug 12, 2017.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

No because they all lost.
    North is undefeated.
    South, not so much. :D

Kiss my Yankee ass. :moon:

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The Mexicans lost at the Alamo? Who knew.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Shouldn't you be sitting at your mailbox waiting for a hand out I mean farm subsidy?:Poke::D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way more racist assholes in the north than the south.

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You lost me after "The constitutional convention of 1787 was radically split on the issue of federal (ie states rights) and national government."

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Considering what you've said; where do we draw the line in what parts of history belong in a museum? How about my 1980 El Camino? How about the old farmer's red barn on the highway? Neither is "needed" anymore since there are more modern modes of transportation and more modern barns to be had. Both of those objects are however, part of history. In fact, everything now existing is part of history. To those that love the Southern way of life look at it's history and see something that has meaning to them. Are you advocating that everyone should live by only one way of looking at the past?

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Actually, according to history that I've read on the subject, Lincoln didn't really care about the issue of slavery. That point simply fell into the number of issues that caused the war to start.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's simple - losers don't get public monuments. Doesn't mean the history is rewritten or not displayed anywhere. Your El Camino doesn't deserve a statue in a park in the middle of downtown anywhere - including Detroit. Henry Ford maybe even if he was a nazi :D

As for the whole Southern thing - it's obviously not popular any longer to have the losing side celebrated in public monuments or the South wouldn't be removing them. Look at where there were more protests and issue - Charlottesville, not the cities in the actual South. Look where the violent fucknut was from - Ohio. Not the South. Most Southerners I know are okay with things changing, it's the South, it's always in flux while at the same time staying old school too. Large part of why I like it here. You don't need the statues in the town square to remember the history.

sheepofblue likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He was against slavery but he was a realist and didn't support instant abolition of slavery.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well I've heard it the other way. Granted I haven't done any specific research, only a couple documentaries and a couple history books. But I agree, the Civil War was based on more than just the slavery issue. At the same time, the slavery issue was a large critical reason for it.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Damn you. :crackup::)

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

The Alamo was a war? Who knew.

13. dtalbott

Rommel does, in Germany.

Maybe the statues are more about the person and less about the policies of the side he fought for.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

No, what I'm saying is there is a distinction between public and private. I agree it's a part of history, a very important part that I believe should be noted and recorded and studied, remembered etc, etc, etc.

I just don't think using a public place or government building to display/memorialize Confederate related stuf is the proper venue to do so. Like it or not the Confederate represented slavery. Robert E. Lee represented slavery. I don't think it should be memorialized in a public/government setting.

15. dtalbott

How about public museums, like the Smithsonian?

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

I was hoping no one would bring this point up. :D
    I wouldn't have any issue.

17. dtalbott

What's that old saying? "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

Did you see where California has eight states on a ban list that California will not pay for any travel to, simply because California does not agree with certain laws?

That worries me, when one state tries to economically pressure another state to change its laws.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Didn't know about Cali. That's just plain crazy. Need a constitutional scholar to chime in on an individual states rights vs. another States vs. the Fed. But I agree, that's a dangerous slippery slope of division.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fuck California.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Brilliant tactician - several arguments can be made that if he was in charge, more of the world would be speaking German today - then again, it could also be argued that if he was in charge - hundreds of millions would still be alive because he wasn't compelled to have the rest of the world speak German.

That being said - my better half called me this morning to give me this news:

Her: "Did you hear about the dumb ass drunk American who was giving Nazi salutes in Dresden?"

Me: "No - did he get arrested like those Chinese idiots last week?"

Her: "He got punched in the face by somebody who saw it - and now they're exploring arresting the drunk idiot and fining him for the salute. . ."

Me: "Dumbass"

Her: "well. . .at least its an American traveling"

Personally, I'm shocked at how the "culture and history" message can become lost and equated with the racial superiority undertones of those times when the standard bearers are carrying torches and throwing around white power shit. . .

Those douchebags in Charlottesville were not there to celebrate the military mind of Gen Lee. Maybe the best representatives for preservation of culture and history aren't self avowed white supremacists - just saying.

dtalbott likes this.