1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing rims size with drum brake.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Repeater, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Hey fellas,

So I have a engine builder. I'm looking at shocks and changing the rims on my 1973 T500. I want to change the front to an 18" keeping the drum. At some point I'll send the drums off to race tech to have them do that arc thing they do.

So how do I get the right size spokes and what type of rim. I'm guessing this will have to be done by someone that knows this stuff.

I'd like gold anodized aluminum rims.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

joec likes this.
  3. joec

joec brace yourself

Yeah...buchanons.. been around for years and know thier stuff. You want to have the rim laced then the drum turned after to ensure the drum is round. Then have the pads done and arced.

I was curious about who's doing relining these days and if vintage brake is still around.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Thanks fellas

5. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Race tech does the drums and shoes. It’s not cheap 200 a drum 70 for the extra shoes.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im curious if their service is better than putting a longer lever on the cam that spreads the shoes??
    If you look at old racebikes they have multi connection levers and a duct for the drums.

7. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I think it’s more of making the drum and show surfaces match each other perfectly. Also get rid of the glaze that builds up. I’ve read some guys use sandpaper on the drum and grind down the shoe to match.