1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Chains/Sprokets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 3wfab, Aug 24, 2004.

1. 3wfab

3wfab Mr. Tsongas to you..

Are you supposed to change the sprokets when you get a new chain? I've heard that if you don't, the chain will wear faster.

What about changing sprokets? Do you need a new chain for that? :confused:

2. wcrbikemike

wcrbikemike Well-Known Member

I change all three at the same time to avoid any uneven wear patterns and for reliability reasons.

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

The rule is:

old chain + new sprockets = bad

new chain + old sprockets = not ideal, but acceptable in a pinch

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Is this gospel?

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

so every time you change gearing to suit a track, your speed, tire size, etc.. ya gotta get a new chain ? :)

i would agree that a really worn chain will make short life of a sprocket, especially aluminum ones. Been there on my dirt bike. Didn't have the right master link for the new chain so i left the old one on, it sloped the teeth on an aluminum rear in 1 long woods ride.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Lol after I typed that I looked at my chain and did the tug test at the rear sprocket, no light whatsoever. Ain't no way I'm replacing it.

7. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

That's the rule of thumb for street bikes where you're putting 1000's of miles on the set.

8. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I recommend that for street/track guys that aren't chasing gearing from track to track, but racers....that's a lit of chains and sprocket!!!

9. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Aw what do you know! Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bwt ur son is huge since the last time I saw him!

10. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

What's up!!!! He has gotten pretty big....can kick a football a long ways too.

Oh and as far as the op goes....I really don't know anything, I just stayed at a holiday inn once!!!:)