1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changed brake lines, now no pressure

Discussion in 'General' started by tecknojoe, Jul 21, 2016.

1. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I took the oem brake lines off my new R3, installed braided steel ones. Now I fill the master cylinder, press the lever and open the bleeder screw, then close it. I've repeated this a whole bunch and I'm not getting any lever pressure still. There's only a little bit of brake fluid coming out compared to normal (and it's not draining from the master as much as usual per lever pull).

What's going on??

I've done this plenty of times and can't remember this ever happening. I installed both crush washers on either side of the brake line, torqued it correctly. I see no leaks anywhere. It just never builds pressure and only lets out a tiny bit of fluid at a time. Do I just need to keep going for like 10 minutes???

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

air bubble in the master cylinder. if theres no bleeder fitting on it, u can bleed it at the banjo. same method... hold pressure, loosen, tighten, repeat.

Will9465 likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Which can be a mess

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Put a papertowel over the top of the open brake master resi to catch any spurts as you do the following:

Start with all bleeders closed, fill the master.

Squeeze the lever fully, hold for a moment, then release slowly, repeat three or four times.
    Squeeze the lever fully, then take your hand off and let it snap back. You should get bubbles in the master when this happens. Snap the lever until you stop getting air. Go back to pumping it a few times, then snap until no more bubbles.

After awhile you'll start feeling resistance at the lever as the air works it's way out of the system. Once you have pressure you can do a normal bleed or just do lever snaps until it's clear.

5. tecknojoe

must be air in the master. I'll give that a shot, thanks

what a pain in the ass, i'm trying to pack for miller tonight

6. tecknojoe

Ah thanks, that was it. got it now.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Mighty vac

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Large syringe fill from the bottom. :)

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Whut?........

:D

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Wrong thread :p

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'll have to try that....last time was one heck of a mess doing it at the MC banjo

12. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Mighty vac......suck that shit out

BHP41 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bleeder banjos help a lot with the mess but I always had good luck putting the wrench on then totally wrapping the wrench and banjo with a rag or bunch of paper towels so it's 100% covered.

EngineNoO9 likes this.
  14. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Before removing the old lines I loosen the torque a bit on the Banjo, then unbolt the caliper and remove the pads. Then use an old single pad as a shim and squeeze the lever until the pistons are as fully extended as I dare before they pop out. Now swap the lines, clean the pistons and push the pistons back into the caliper. There is enough fluid in the caliper to fill the lines from the bottom up. Zero air bubble.

15. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

On the r6 and gsxr I've never had luck with the mity vac. My Hondas it's always worked great. My r6 I had to bleed at the banjo and the easiest way is to get a rag to collect all the mess. Paper towel doesn't suffice in my opinion.

16. EngineNoO9

Guess I've never seen bleeder banjos but that makes sense. Almost makes you wonder why they don't come stock

17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Too expensive.

18. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I might be late to the party, but try bleeding at the banjo bolts themselves. It's messy but I've had air pockets trapped there before.

19. EngineNoO9

They're like $15-20... That's nothing!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good paper towels and more than one :D I also prefer good rags fwiw.