1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling Speakers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Trunxgp1224, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I want to install speakers in the ceiling like those super fancy homes in the movies and crap. Google isn't much help on resources. I'm sure I could start drilling holes and running wire then attach it to a bluetooh something or other. However I want to be able to zone the speakers so I can turn on the whole house, a room or three and adjust volume accordingly. I would think a simple control center with a mixer would work? but I'd like the ability to control it from an app so I don't have to walk across the house if my imaginary girl friends think it's too loud or something.

I know absolutely nothing about audio is this something I could do easily and in the app control style I'm wanting? Maybe something I could eventually merge with the tv audio?

I don't need concert quality speakers but how much am I looking at for cost?
    30-$50/speaker
    $100 in wire
    the digital mixer and control thingy, what is it even called?
    And that's it besides tools right? not doing video so there's no coax or crimps needed I can think of.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Shoot me a pm, I do that stuff for a living.

There's many ways to do it... $30/speaker is pretty low quality and you probably wont be happy with the result.

G Dawg likes this.
  3. You obviously know more than me but I agree with this. Spend a bit more and it seems once you hit a certain threshold for the regular user a lot over that is audiophile stuff. My Klipsch ones are really good (for my ears) and are lower to middle of the road.

4. thrak410

Yeah, we've used speakers from $50 - $500 each for homes and you're right. We use a lot of JBL Control/16 speakers and people always like them ($238/pr, I can beat that though hehe). They're versatile with amp type, and have pretty decent sound for the price.

You could install a system from a company like Russound for control it all which works well, or you could move up a step and enter into the home automation style solutions like Savant. Start with music, add video later, add lighting later, add hvac later, add garage door, door locks, security systems, etc ...

We've done it all. :)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll be in touch soon, need to upgrade the speakers the builder put in.

6. thrak410

I'm around the corner you know :D I could probably bring a couple brands by for you to test drive.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I'd know the difference :D That and then you'd see my setup and cringe at the speaker placement. Room was set up to be the reverse of how I have it so the rear speakers are in an alcove that is behind and to the left of where I sit :D

Thinking about replacing the front wall speakers and then putting in new rears or doing mids that are to our sides.

8. thrak410

You may not know the difference, but you ears will :)

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Was pleasant surprised by the set of Polks I installed.

I did build heavy & insulated boxes for them in the attic, must help.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I miss my old job. Did custom installs in Chicago

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

How far do you go to talk someone into using actual speakers (towers, center, surround, subs) instead of the ceiling/wall mount stuff? Some of those sound ok, but nothing like a properly setup system.

13. thrak410

Honestly, I'm not high pressure sales guy, so I ask what the goal is first and if they say they want it clean but good thats an in-wall, if they say they want the best and have a big budget then we talk towers, etc.

A lot depends on the room too. Some people make custom theater only rooms, while others double a living room with a theater.

But overall I let them tell me rather than try to push something.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Some of the home automation stuff looks very cool.

15. Trunxgp1224

16. Trunxgp1224

So 18-24 speakers throughout the house

6 in the Dining/living
    2(6) in each of the 3 rooms
    2 behind the couch. Kind of hesitant still because that would limit rearranging the living room
    2 Kitchen
    2 main hallway
    Then maybe 1-2 in the reading nook, it's a 6x15 space
    1(2) in each bathroom because I can o_O Can I?

There's a 3x3 closet towards the center of the house I could build a rack for the system. so $2,000 in better quality speakers and wire plus whatever controller I'll end up with.

17. thrak410

I have speakers in my Bathroom :D Until you have it you dont know how awesome it is!

check PMs

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Look at these....much more money though. Each speaker has two 5.25" woofers and a Titanium tweeter...https://www.newaudiounited.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1008

19. Trunxgp1224

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

YES....every time you listen:rock: