1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cbr600rr shock length, 2003 & 2008

Discussion in 'Tech' started by maxleanangle, Apr 11, 2020.

1. maxleanangle

maxleanangle Well-Known Member

Hoping someone can provide advice regarding installation of aftermarket shocks on a couple of cbr600rr models.
    I am 6'2", so tall enough to swing leg over whatever optimal rear ride height is.

Installing Ohlins on an '03 cbr600rr.

Installing Penske triple on an '08 cbr600rr.

TIA!

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

is your front end extended on the 08?

3. maxleanangle

Can't determine how to edit original post. To clarify...Primary interest is to learn recommended baseline shock length and how to set for both 2003 and 2008.

Something like "For 2003 add 10mm ride height compared to stock. On Ohlins that is 5-lines showing"...or whatever.

4. maxleanangle

Thanks for question - Standard front-ends on both the '03 and the '08.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would measure both stock and aftermarket to start . Then measure how much adjustment you have on both aftermarket shocks and write that down. Set your sag and head on off.
    If the front ends are stock I wouldn't waste too much time until you feel or see something.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

^ that

My 04 was sensitive to axle position for me, esp w a 190 rear tire.

For my 09, shock length wasn’t nearly as important as spring rate. Once the spring was good, the bike worked well over a range of shock lengths. Of course, a longer front end rly woke the bike up.