1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cbr1000F?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by britx303, Oct 9, 2018.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I just picked up a '91 cbr1000f for too good of a price to pass up. This this weighs a flippin ton,so thinking maybe use the engine in a different chassis. Any chance Honda has the same engine mounting configuration between certain models like this one and maybe F2/F3's? Im definately not afraid of fabbing up new mounts if need be,but if there is any confirmed models that will work,that'd be a bonus. Im getting mixed results with the interwebs searching......some people say its a direct bolt-in and others say no. Anyone know 100%?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I'd say no way. Until they brought out the 900RR those things were designed to be super fast sport tourers with not much in common with the 600 other than the "Hurricane" name. The 900RR changed things and you'd probably have better luck stuffing one of those engines in a 600 frame.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I believe that you can more easily (read: with effort) install a 900RR engine in an F2/3 than anything else. The 1000F motor (so I've read) is almost too large for the 1000F chassis, let alone anything else.

4. britx303

Gotcha...........wishful thinkin':D This thing is a pig!

yamageezer likes this.
  5. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Close to 100lbs more than the GSXR1100 and FZR1000 of the late 80s.

6. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Buy a purpose built F1 frame from CMR. Build an International Challenge bike. Rules allow it in WERA and AHRMA in several classes. Engines can go to 1300cc and make 180hp.

ungwaha likes this.
  7. britx303

A purpose built race frame was another thought I had.................or use it for a sidecar............if I raced one to begin with:confused: Hey,it was a thought:D

8. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

I thought the deal was to put an F3 engine into a 900RR frame?? Maybe that was one of those moto journo fantasies though??

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Why would you do that? The 900rr only weighed a couple pounds more than the 600 and had that monster motor instead of a wimpy 600cc motor...

10. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

ha ha, looks like im not the only one. I bought a 88 a few years ago and it sits.

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Why don't you strip it down and see how light you can make it along with better suspension, brakes and wheels. Then build the motor into a 1300cc monster and have a fun hooligan bike. It probably fits in V-7 HWT.

12. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. Think (guessing) it had something to do with replacing the steel F# frame with the 900RR ally frame, wind up with a lighter 600. Competition being at the time FZR/YZF600, what, ZZR600? Kawi, godawful first version GSXR600?

Not sure if/why/when it may have been done. And obviously for a race bike, limited classes. As I said, vague recollection.

13. britx303

Ive got a bike for V7hw already.......if I can ever get my tail to a WERA round:confused:. Hell,ive got bikes for V1-V8. Im looking at pics of cbr900 engines and their mounting points and it doesnt look too far off from the 1KF...........wondering if a cbr900 frame would be a good candidate. I recently saw a 900 rolling chassis for sale,now I just dont recall where it was:oops:

14. britx303

I got mine for fee........otherwise I would have never even looked at it. Even my wife looked at it and was like......."Holy shit....this things a cadillac!!!":crackup:

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

If you put the engine in something better, the forks and wheels from the 1000F are a good upgrade for older Hondas. I like them on my 500 singles and lots of people like them for older SOHC and DOHC 750's. You can throw the rest of it away.

16. britx303

You read my mind to the T.......:D Engine and wheels then scrap the rest.