1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBR 600 F3 Project

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by chobes, Oct 5, 2021.

1. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I'm going to replace the triples, and the bearings. Snapped a pic of the forks, hard to see the crease in a photo, but it's there, and you can feel it.

IMG_0453.JPG

stickboy274 likes this.
  2. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Wait.....WHAT??? Now why would you go and straighten out a perfectly bent set of F3 triples?????????????

stickboy274 likes this.
  3. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I took off the perfectly bent triples for future use when I want to really dial in the bike. :beer:

Replaced triples, put the forks on for now so I could rip out and replace the rear suspension. Have a good set of forks on the way, braided brake lines and new pads ordered, chain and sprockets have arrived. Just need to get some time to get it all installed, hoping to have some time over the holidays... In the meantime, some fairing pieces have been trickling in, fitted them to see if I need to tweak any of the mounting points at all, starting to look like a bike again. (Thinking about leaving it like this, as my current goal is to do some track days to see how far I want to pursue this) One thing that I've never been able to figure about regarding the F2/F3 platform is what the hook is for on the frame near the idle mixture screw. (last picture)

IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0538.JPG

4. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Santa was good to me, brought me all sorts of new toys. New front forks installed, now working on the brakes. Rear caliper was clean, fronts are a disaster, doesn't appear that the fluid was ever changed. Looking for a way to clean off the pistons, will buy new ones if I have to. New seals on order, hope to get brakes buttoned up this coming weekend... Took it for it's first ride, a bit sketchy with only rear brakes, but everything works :beer:

Santa.JPG Front_Caliper_2.JPG Front_Brake_Pistons.JPG Old_Brake_Fluid.JPG

ToofPic likes this.
  5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I would try some fine steel wool cloth,should clean them up w/o scarring them.Looking good.I have one I haven't even started on yet.Probably gonna need to clean,seal tank first,then carbs.
    It was running when lightly crashed,but been sitting 3 yrs

chobes likes this.
  6. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I've cleaned two of the pistons with fine steel wool, they look just fine. The other ones are really dirty, might need to try some medium steel wool on those. I used Ospho on my tank, soaked it for 24 hours, rotating it from time to time. Rinsed it, dried it with a hair dryer, also rinsed with rubbing alcohol. I didn't seal it as I filled it right away. I'll certainly end up with spares from this project, let me know once you get started if you end up needing anything.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Steel wool wasn't enough for the last 2 pistons, used some 2000/2500 grit sandpaper on them. I put a rubber hose over a 11mm socket, jammed it into the pistons and then spun them with a drill, came out just fine.

IMG_0624.JPG

VFR#52 and ToofPic like this.
  8. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Got the brakes back together, nice to be able to stop. 1st time rebuilding calipers, so I'm very happy with the results. Sorted out the temp gauge issue, now I have two good clusters. Installed a Motion Pro R6 throttle tube, chain and sprockets (14T front/45T rear). Bike has felt great on a few test rides, pulls great from any rpm, stops good, suspension feels solid, better than the 20k mile '98 in the garage. Next up is to adjust the valves (sounds like some valve noise when it warms up) and look into why it has popped out of 2nd gear a couple of times. Scouring eBay has led me to some great deals, vortex rear sets for less than $100, and fairings in opposite colors of my son's bike. Cleaned the garage so I have a clear space to work, repurposed a 15-year old iMac to be the "shop" computer...

Calipers_Bare.jpeg Caliper_Installed.jpeg F3_Clocks.jpeg F3_Pair.jpeg F3_Pair_2.jpeg

ToofPic likes this.
  9. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Shift drum and 2nd gear shift fork had seen better days, so I replaced those. (was able to swap shift drum and forks without pulling the engine) Straightened up the rearsets and got them installed. Clutch was burnt up so I sourced new discs/plates. Getting ready to put it all back together, not sure if I should worry about replacing the outer clutch basket as some of the fingers have clear grooving in them, or just roll with it for now...

Shift_Forks.jpeg Shift_Drum.jpeg Shift_Drum_Removed.jpeg Vortex_1.jpeg Vortex_Persuasion.jpeg Vortex_Left.jpeg Vortex_Right.jpeg Burnt_Clutch_Disk.jpeg IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0740.JPG

ToofPic likes this.
  10. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I'm slacking on updates here.... A friend put me on to an F3 locally with 20K miles for cheap, picked it up as a donor/parts bike and swapped the engine into the bike I'm keeping, swapped old engine into the donor bike and tidied up a few things, threw on the F2 fairings I have and put it for sale to get it out of the garage. With new shift drum and shift forks in it, transmission is fine, stays in gear, shifts smoothly.

IMG_0935.JPG IMG_E0980.JPG

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Project bike has new engine in, waiting for rear shock to be rebuilt, new tires to show up, finish up the rattle-can paint job and then for some miles to be put on it.

IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0764.JPG Paint_1.jpeg

Shenanigans, VFR#52 and ToofPic like this.
  12. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Haven't really updated anything here for awhile, but bike has been completed and now being ridden to shake out any bugs. Pic as of last night...

IMG_E1527.JPG

mte78 likes this.