1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB650F

Discussion in 'General' started by CausticYarn, May 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

ducnut likes this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I get a wide variety of stuff thru the shop. Some of this shit is so heavy, Harleys, alot of the bigger Jap cruisers and Wings etc. The older I get the more I appreciate light weight.

beac83 and ducnut like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s an optimistic number. Haha. They’re absolute tanks, especially laying on their side. There’s no reason for it, IMO. There’s like 18pcs of crap to remove, just to get the tank off. It’s all weight. *facepalm*

4. baconologist

i’ve been riding one for 30k+ including up the Dempster.

ducnut likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As I previously mentioned, I have an 800XCx. The first three months, I hit 7K miles. Absolutely loved riding the bike. And, it was bought to make the AK trip, but, unforeseen health issues means it’ll never happen. Contemplating selling it. Not sure, yet. No market, so no value. It’s kind of a deal where I’d rather just keep it for what the market is willing to pay.

6. baconologist

XC is a different dynamic from an XR and more so than an XR low which would suit her best. But it is a much better pack horse for touring than the others.

ducnut likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I sat on one of those; much more manageable. In some ways, I wish it was what I had, now. But, we can’t predict our futures.

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'm sure it's been said before, but I'll add vote for one of the following:
    DL650 VStrom
    FZ1/ MT10

Both are comfortable to ride all day, reliable AF, and easy to add panniers and top box to. The pillion seat can be used for dry bags and other luggage.

I've been riding a VStrom from Chicago to NY each spring and fall the last 4 years in a one-day ride each way. About 800 miles. It's not even a problem to do it. I am planning on a trip on the Strom later this year if things settle - Chicago, Glacier NP, Missolua, Snake River, Crater Lake NP, Northern CA and the Bay Area, and back home.

jrsamples likes this.
  9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

How long did that NY to Chi-town ride take you on average?

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

12.5-14 hours, depending on stops and weather.
    Beacause I'm doing it in one day, I slab it all the way.
    From Chicago, it's I-94>I-80>I-81>I-84>US6. Only the last 40 miles on US 6 From Middletown to Peekskill isn't slab.

speedluvn likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, I've helped raise a kid who turned out flat out amazing and been the kid of divorced parents. Guess I wouldn't know shit because I'm not exactly like you :crackup:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And where are you from originally?

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:crackup:

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have no idea, just suppositioning that she's not lifting a 600 lb motorcycle.
    I damn sure ain't lifting 600 lbs without there being some accommodation for doing so, like on a GoldWing. I mean, why the hell would anyone risk a hernia while out on one of life's adventures? Hell, I can't stand having to lift a 370-380lb trackbike...always have poor footing, shits usually snapped off and dangling, I'm completely exhausted to begin with. Come to think of it, that happens on the 220+lb dirtbikes, too. :D
    Fuggit, motorcycling is dangerous for one's health...I'm sticking to guns and boats from now on. :timeforabeer:

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

@CausticYarn a friend of mine is selling his first gen Concours for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Is there another way to sell one of those?

R1M370, rd400racer, jrsamples and 4 others like this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Genetic predisposition? That would also explain my liking for tea, scones, old double barrels, and border collies. You might be on to something.

18. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Sorry - just had to step back for a little bit. I realize the well is poisoned with a few and I just have to keep my mouth shut to save my sanity. I don’t need tips and tricks on parenting - my girls are just fine with me. We are resin casting small agates we found for necklaces today if anyone needs the itinerary for Mother’s Day. :D

I have never been to the Pacific Northwest. It is absolutely my dream trip and it will happen. I am going to climb the crater and feel fulfilled - then plan the next trip.

I seriously appreciate all of the info here and will be planning out something amazing.

My bucket still gets full here - this is an amazing community full of amazing people.

y’all rock, keep it up!

19. baconologist

How about a 750 Nighthawk for simple and cheap?

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Then, as previously mentioned, you need to also get to the coast while you're out there.