1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB650F

Discussion in 'General' started by CausticYarn, May 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

This is going on season 2 without a ride and it’s making me squirrelly.

I’m starting to plan some solo cross country trips for 2023 and was looking for some opinions. Something that can be packed with a single tent, a sleeping bag, and a few necessities.

I really want to do Minnesota to Crater Lake and camp in a few other National Parks along the way. I am getting old though - and am leaning towards sport touring instead of a straight up sportbike - even though that damn candy blue and yellow CBR1000 would look lovely under my ass.

So - what says the Beeb on the CB650f as a cross country bike? I’m 5’8” and all legs so many of the traditional issues with motorcycle height don’t apply to me.

Any other suggestions that may be better?

I am a Honda girl - but can be swayed. This is a few years out yet - I am trying to save up pennies, nickels, and quarters where I can. I just want to keep my brain sane with some direction :D

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

2023 ?? I couldn't find any write-ups on that bike newer than 2018. Seems like it would carry your frame well and it has favorable reviews from Cycle World and some others. Maybe wait until you're ready to travel and look at the available models to decide? Anyway good luck with your choice and your journey.

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

FZ-07

I'd guess that would be a better option.

Little more power
    More touring options - bags/racks wise
    Probably a cheaper bike?

4. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Because you're a Honda girl and I am fond of many Hondas, I would suggest a VFR800. Decent power, V4 torque, slap a Givi rack and hard bags on, some Heli bars, maybe a taller windscreen, a Sargent seat and you are ready! I had a '98 with gear driven cams and loved it, I miss it to this day even though I have a garage full of bikes. The next gen had the V-tec that kind of came on like a switch which wasn't fun it you were leaned over. I have never ridden the 1200 that came next or the newest one which was back to 800cc's. They have always had a hard time selling VFR's and thus you can probably find the latest gen as a 6 year old holdover for a deep discount somewhere. They are such a great bike and have a loyal following. I did my first track day my sport touring set-up VFR and had a blast!

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

start saving dollars vs. pennies and nickels ;)
    094EAEE8-8D2F-415C-A5B4-4979E0DC9407.jpeg

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

What’s your budget? New or used? I have 06 Triumph Scrambler 900 that wouldn’t hesitate to take most anywhere. That said, I would love to upgrade to the Triumph Scrambler 1200XE. Robby-Bobby has a post on FB about one of those sold by his shop traveling from Florida to Alaska.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Some of my racing buddies did a Baja trip on adventure touring bikes last year. Looked like a blast. I was thinking about doing that this year, then some others got involved and tried to make a huge payday out of it and the price went crazy so I blew off that idea.

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute.

713 likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Versys or something slightly more adventure tour oriented for when the pavement ends.

9. CausticYarn

Thanks for the input so far!

I am definitely looking at used motorcycles - it is not in my budget to work with something new.

I am looking for something reliable. Both of my Honda CBRs were tanks! I had an F2 and then an F4i.

I just want to be comfy. Being alone on the open road has been a dream of mine for a long time.

I’m gonna do it. But the budget has me 3 years out for it - so that’s why it’s a long game. :)

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

ADV bikes are the new ST bikes, and what you want.

CRA_Fizzer and TurboBlew like this.
  11. Gino230

PS Welcome back :)

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

and welcome back

13. CausticYarn

Thanks.
    I missed you guys!

black knight and Gino230 like this.
  14. CausticYarn

That little 650 looks right up my alley.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Rent a bike. A lot can happen in three years. As you know, time is an irreplaceable commodity.

16. Gino230

I think we should make this like the Cortez- is- back thread.

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

We have Traveled from San Diego to WSBK (at Brainard Minn) camping (me on my ‘76 Z-1, and her on a ‘88 ZX750. I have also camped across to Michigan on a XS-650, and several trips on a CB650SC to Okla, and Colo. The desired characteristic is the UJM riding position and a flat passenger seat to strap your gear into. When my s.o. took a long solo ride, she made sure she ate before sundown, and then parked and set up camp after dark. Reduced risk somewhat as she wore her hair short. Have fun, stay safe.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In possibly the weirdest coincidence ever, this just popped up on my YouTube feed.

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I went cross country on an '07 FZ6 visiting 20 odd national parks for about five weeks.

I would not suggest an FZ6 for two reasons: not upright and no fairing. In national parks the speed limit is 45, you will want to be upright, and there's a lot of interstate between MN and OR, you will want some wind buffeting protection.

Have fun!

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dream killer. :Poke: :D