1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpet, to the all knowing beeb

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Jan 7, 2021.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Tearing up 20+ yo carpet. We only plan to be here for another year or three. Will need space when we have another kid. Current is shit and over worn. Most of the house is tile/wood. So only <1000 sq foot of carpet. Idea is to rent this and buy bigger to accommodate. What do I buy, the $1.50 HD special, or dive in for $3+ super fancy. I dont need much use, and hate the idea of renters ruining top quality stuff.
    As a fyi we have upgraded bathrooms, and appliances, and countertops, etc etc. But I dont want to be the most expensive house on the market.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Swap to engineered hardwood.

vdub 2.0, The Todd and BigBird like this.
  3. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Look into luxury vinyl plank. Its awesome but a little more expensive

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What he said.

Vinyl plank in a rental FTW.

R Acree likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

If you for sure want carpet, I got the Home Depot stuff and I gotta say I'm really happy with it.

But, like others have said, if you're gonna rent the house, put in vinyl plank. Renters can provide - and wreck up - their own throw rugs.

BigBird likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Luxury vinyl plank.

Isn’t that like top grain Naugahyde? :confused:

The Todd and Sabre699 like this.
  8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i put in about 900 sq ft of LVP myself, and it only took about 3 full days. i laid mine right over the tile though, and did new base boards. after pulling up carpet, it may not be as easy due to the surface below.

its pretty simple once you get the first course ran. it is also pretty indestructible stuff, water doesnt affect it, dog doesnt scratch it with his claws while running about. i would go this route in a rental for sure.

9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Home Depot life proof is good vinyl flooring. If you do go with carpet go with the best padding you can afford.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

In case nobody suggested it- LVP
    Carpet sucks
    If you have a Floor&Decor store nearby they have great prices and selection.

dobr24 likes this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you put carpet down then what goes under it and the installation are almost as important as the carpet. 20 year old carpet was about a decade over due to be replaced anyway. If you put down vinyl plank or some other engineered hardwood you'll end up with carpet anywy unless you are single. If you are married she will as sure as the sun comes up cover them up with rugs anway.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

FWIW we have the luxury vinyl and its awesome. Cleaning is easier and its not nearly as noisy as hardwood.

13. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

3 years ago I tore out all out Carpet and put down High Quality engineered Hardwoods. It was $5.10 a Sq Ft- just for the wood.
    It still looks like the day I put it down, family of 4, no pets. It's Awesome!
    I agree with the vinyl - looks/feels like wood. Better for a maybe rental FS.

Fuck carpet, it holds all the nasty dust and crap- period.

14. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Don't do the Floor & Decor house brand stuff. We did it in our family room / kitchen. Took three days for my son to destroy an area by sliding his chair around while he watched TV. Had something slip out of my hand and hit right at a seam and cause a big chip out. Putting the refrigerator back in place put big creases in the floor via the rollers under the fridge.

All this before I even got shoe molding put back in. I'm not impressed, especially at $3.50 or so a foot.

15. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I did my own LVP in our kitchen, master, guest, kids, and washroom. But the stairs need to be kept carpet. Too expensive to convert stairs to HW. And I live in the mountains, so LV is a no go for getting out of bed. We were deciding on which upgrade to do now. Might be Granite CT, and carpet after when they have a color she likes.

16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

BTW thanks for the feedback.

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

dude mine wanted to put throw rugs over the carpet

normally i let her have her druthers re: interior design but i put the kibosh on that one

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yep. Grew up in a house with carpet. Here in MD everyone is all about wood flooring. But what do they do? Cover it in rugs. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Wood floors are cold and make your house an echo chamber. Cannot stand that.

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’ll never live in a carpeted home. Bleggghh

go with a wood vinyl

20. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

LVP for the win. We did our living room (600 sq ft) over a year ago...live in the country, 3 dogs and a cat...they still are amazing and require very little upkeep. We only sweep the room, it's never been mopped and you can't even tell. Shit's amazing.