1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cargo trailers and AC/generator setups?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazy Destroyer, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Insulated although I'm not sure with what... I need to pull one of the panels to see.
    It has a floor AC unit with vent to outside. I can't recall the BTU but it's a larger unit. It's rated at 10.5 or 11 amps on the side sticker. I think it's something like 12k BTU's but I need to look to be sure.

Ran into a couple problems at Cycle Jam:
    (1) On Friday afternoon it would run constantly and not really keep up, trailer got up to 80 degrees. It was pretty hot that day no doubt. I know the floor AC units are probably not that efficient compared to a window or roof unit, but is this expected?? I would think a 6x12 area it should be able to handle that size no problem but maybe I'm wrong.
    It didn't have any problems on Saturday, on Sunday it was a little warm but it wasn't bad inside but AC was running constantly I think.

(2) I was plugged in so I never had to use my new Honda 2000 genny, but I tested it once just to make sure it worked and when the AC Compressor kicks on reset the AC unit. I know the surge for the compressor will be higher than the ~11 amps but could it be that much higher to exceed 2000w? I had assumed it would be fine but maybe not.
    I might try it again but with a shorter extension cord, just to see if the 50ft I used was a little too much. It was a beefy/exterior extension cord so probably thicker gauge wire. I also want to get a killawatt unit to confirm with it goes up to when the compressor clicks on.

For the first issue, I want to check out the insulation and if it's not anything great I'll re-do with maybe the foam board stuff. I also want to wrap the exhaust hose with some form of insulation so it does heat the interior as much.

But I know there were a lot of small cargo trailers you guys are using that have AC units, a few with small window units. I have a window unit I keep at the house as a backup in case the house AC fails, mine is a 5k BTU. I would think this wouldn't keep up from what I saw last weekend, but it did seem like some of the window AC units I saw guys using were small just like mine.

2. Lazy Destroyer

For the second issue, I'd be curious what you guys with a similar insulated cargo trailer are using for generators.

The only things I need to run is the AC unit (1300 watts? plus surge) and small stuff like laptop battery charger (~100 watt). Lights inside I use my marine battery. I'd like to be able to run a small TV (100 watt?) if possible but I can skip that.

The Honda 2000 or similar would be a perfect size, I'm not sure about lugging around a larger one just for the AC unit.

Is there anything that can help reduce the surge current? Like how motor capacitors help the turn-on load before they get moving?
    Or is the 2000 just asking too much from it??

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Did you test the Power at Road Atlanta prior to plugging in? You know that's the most Mr. Sparky Electrical supply in the S.E.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Your Honda will struggle with the starting load. A start capacitor will help, but it probably already has one.

Your main issue is that those units draw inside air through the condenser coil and blow it outside. In other words, it's a big exhaust fan. Any air that gets blown out must get drawn in. If the trailer is tight, you won't get enough airflow across the coil, raising head pressure and reducing capacity. If the trailer has air leaks or vents, you're just sucking out the air you're trying to cool and replacing hot air in.

The only way for those things to work is if you somehow duct outside air directly into the inlet of the condenser coil. May be easy or not depending on how it's built.

5. Lazy Destroyer

Me not getting electrocuted was about the extent of the testing. I did have a multimeter with me but didn't think to check the power plug when on the RA circuit. Everything ran fine when plugged into that, only had issues w/ the generator.

I thought Jennings was the worst for power?? :)

6. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

We had 7x14 foam board the ceiling, paint the roof with the white reflective paint (kool kote), foam board the walls. We put a polar cub 9000 on the roof and ran it with an eu2000. Never had any problems and you could hang meat in there during the summer.

7. Lazy Destroyer

Yea, I left the vent cracked otherwise it will pull a vacuum.

One option is to either cut a hole for a window AC unit... or add a roof AC unit.
    I'd rather not cut a hole in the side, and I'm not sure a small window unit would keep up if my larger floor unit won't keep up... unless a ~12kBTU floor unit can't cool as much as a 5 or 6k BTU window because of how it operators pulling in external air???
    I haven't looked around but I am assuming the roof AC units are all large AC units, unless that is the size required for an insulated 6x12? If so I guess I would definitely not get by with the Honda 2000 and need to re-evaluate how I'm doing things.

Mostly wondering if those small window units I saw guys with at Cycle Jam work during the day in 100° heat. If so I guess I'll be cutting a hole in my trailer... was trying to avoid that though. But I'd probably prefer to have a window AC unit and the Honda 2000... than an oversized roof unit and a massive generator.

8. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

I saw a small trailer there with a window ac unit mounted to a sheet of plywood. They left the side door of the trailer open and stood the plywood (with the ac unit) up in the door opening. No cutting a hole in the trailer for the ac. I thought it was a clever idea!

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

a good quality gen is an investment, that will have a good resale. As in there are few things out there that you can sell for 1/2 of the cost new or MORE, than a honda or yamaha generator. Just bite the bullet and get a good one. There is NOTHING that gets as much use per trip than a generator . (except for trips you get lucky enough to get power). i find this a better investment than a d-air suit any day, and twice on sunday :) it will be something that brings cheer and happiness to all those around you, and will give you years of service for next to no additional cost.

i can't help on the ac question.. other than more is better.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I talked recently to a guy with that same set up. The downside is that it is a PITA to get in and out of the trailer. You either have to drop the ramp door or move a big heavy piece of plywood with an AC unit mounted in it. If your trailer has barn type doors instead of a ramp, it would obviously be a bit easier.

11. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

We found that if it is really hot out it makes the generator work much harder to start the ac, on cooler days it seems to start the ac just fine.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I used to run that setup in a 6x10, with a 5k window mount in a sheet of plywood in the side door opening. R22 insulation. Not enough, not if I went in and out much. Went to a 13.5k roof mount. Brrr.

13. 27stormin

27stormin Well-Known Member

Not to steal the thread but where's a good place to buy rooftop AC units?

14. This.

I had the RV and trailer plugged into RA power (separate cords), and I had an external surge protector inline on both. I know they have surge protection built in, but I don't trust that RA power.

FWIW, my trailer struggled to keep cold also. I am sure being a black trailer in 100+deg with the sun out didn't help.

It has a 13.5k BTU unit and it is only a 8.5x18' trailer (96" interior height), but it still struggled to keep up with the sun and temps. It was cool in there and felt ok, but it couldn't keep it at the 65deg I like.

Sometimes it is just too damn sunny and hot outside.

15. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

a copmressor can draw 5X surge on startup, sometimes reducing the voltage by using a longer extension cord can help but in your case it sounds like the reduced voltage during the surge is giving the controller problems. You could get into the guts and put an extension cord just in series with the compressor so the surge is reduced and the AC voltage holds up a bit better, or you could just get a bigger generator?

16. Lawd. So now every purchase is going to be compared to a D-Air suit?

And how can you even compare safety equipment vs a generator. Last time I checked, generators don't save broken bones.

It is becoming obvious that you have never shattered a collarbone or shoulder, and that is why you have this idea that a D-Air suit is an almost unnecessary luxury item. I can promise you that many of us don't share that same opinion.

17. But with that being said, I do think a good generator is a good investment. Not only for you, but for those pitted around you.

If you are going to run an A/C unit, plus tire warmers, fans, etc., you would be better off investing in a larger Yamaha or Honda generator. Get a good 5k one and forget about it.

Lazy Destroyer likes this.
  18. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Or conversely, just place the cooler outside and duct the cold air into the trailer. Any leaks will actually push air out not pull hot air into the trailer. I can't imagine needing much more than a 3" hole.

19. Lazy Destroyer

That's why I ended up with the Honda eu2000 instead of the cheaper copies because I figured worst case if I changed trailer setups at the end of the year, I could sell it for just a little less than I paid. And I have pitted next to a lot of loud ass generators and it sucks. I don't want to be that guy. A 5k genny would be awesome but really outside of my limited budget I have. And likely overkill for just keeping a 6x12 space cool.

Honestly all I really need is just something to power an AC unit with a little wiggle room for smaller 100 watt stuff like my laptop charger. I don't ride so no need for tire warmers and I can live without a fan since I'm out on the track 90% of the day. And in the AC when I get back after races are done :)

I do have a marine battery that is under-used, I only use it for LED lights a few hrs per day at the track, it's a shame there isn't a way to use that battery for help on the startup wattage.

What's sad is I used my 5k BTU window unit in a 4-person tent at Roebling in July and it worked halfway decent. Not as much during the day but it was still nice in there compared to outside.
    Maybe I should just re-insulate the trailer and re-assess?
    I wonder how much help an EZ-up style canopy to keep the sun off the trailer would help?

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Insulation is everything. Especially the ceiling.

Of course, if you don't feel like working that hard, I have a Yamaha 3000esib, and an insulated, air conditioned trailer for sale.