1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb cleaning acetone?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mran556, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Exactly why my shit gets premium. I never had problems with gas but everyone else seems to?

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Premium here is still E10.
    The carb damage on the Hawk, was done by the previous owner, bike was sitting for a couple years.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Premium around here has it too:mad:. Ive cleaned carbs with acetone before with a squirt bottle and it works,but it flashes faster than it cuts through the shellac on some parts. Ive done the pine-sol deal on the carb bodies in a 5 gallon bucket and the berrymans can for the jets. Do not leave the carbs in the pine-sol solution too long............had a set of perfect FZR carbs rust beyond worth after just a 2 day soak and they rusted in the bucket before pulling them out into atmosphere..........did not think it would have done that, but it did.

Mran556 likes this.
  4. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

Had the carb in for about 16 hrs in pinesol. It didnt strip it at all, with some hard scrubbing the varnish finish is starting to come off. The passageways are probably all gunked up still tho. The carb changed colors i think hard to tell with all the varnish.

Gunna get some lacquer thinner today and try that

5. Mran556

Ill watch out for that bri . Thanks. Im gunna soak it in lacquer thinner later today I think

6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Pics? I cleaned out my buddies 400xcw ktm last year... we managed to pull a wire out of a moderately stiff brush to clean the pilot and main jets...
    after taking jets out with modified flat head.. we sprayed the brake clean right into the jet(covering eyes) before brush trick
    some gunk is hard like a calcium deposit and requires a bit of manual persuasion

his dads 400exc was worse ...
    had what looked like pine tar on his tank filter... the gas had to have been 8-10 yrs old.
    smelled like new shoe rubber(but in a very bad way lol)

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've used the Berrymans carb dip for years with good success. Makes jets look new. Don't put plastic or rubber into it. If you leave cad plated hardware in it too long it damages it; more than a couple days.

8. What do you know about welding anyway?

Wait... carry on, nothing to see here :)

Pine sol work, carb cleaner, ultrasonic is easiest and a cheap HF will actually work, has for anything I’ve needed it to do carb wise. I also have either brass or copper (would have to look) jet cleaners. The are thi serrated wire. I always check jets under magnifying glass and I’ve never had one even leave a mark on a jet. They don’t last long at all but if a jets that bad I’m not wasting time cleaning it either if it can’t be busted out with the above stuff.

9. I like corn gas, well when I sell corn that goes to ethanol I do :) on the other hand being in the fuel systems industry I hate it. So I’m rather torn on the whole thing :)

Britt likes this.
  10. Mran556

Soaked it in pine sol for 24hrs and scrubbed it clean then used a bottle of carb cleaner. I sprayed all the passageways with compressed air. The bikes haveing a cold start issue with no choke it doesn't want to do anything. Full choke it will start after 2 or 3 kicks runs for 10 seconds then die. Hot it runs good and restarts with one kick. I adjusted the float to spec in the service manual and it's coming out the bowl over flow. Just a few drops when shook. Any throttle opening when cold kills it. Idle and fuel mix screw set to spec

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

A good while back I took my XR100 carb apart and put it in the Berrymans basket..tapped the lid down and went on with working...FORGOT it for about two months...Ooooopsiee...it Melted the bowl..to a pile of goo..and the main body was un-useable...I bought a new carb.. lesson learned.
    "Work and Life can cause carburetors to melt".

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. Or old age :)

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You hush up....I had a lot going on...besides carb soaking...:)

14. How is it on off throttle - low speed adjustment? I’m no carb expert, maybe fatten up the low speed or adjust the bowl a bit lower? Based on what you are stating it’s very hard to tell so I have almost nothing to offer here

Mran556 likes this.
  15. Me too, have to head to Buford for daughters cheerleading stuff, BSB this morning, added enough spot/ flood lights to the golf cart to see outer space and ironically put a bigger main jet in it as it’s running way lean between 3-4k. Ya I have an O2 sensor on it, had one laying around. Don’t want my wife blowing up my cart at 40mph that can also pull my boat, trailer around.
    This will be the last time someone in my neighborhood says he will bet anyone his carts “the fastest thing anyone around here has ever seen with a stock motor”. When I put the torque monster spring in the drive clutch it’s like a 3k stall on torque converter and launches like a Radial vs the world car :) I won’t be outdone by some yuppy especially once I add Motec, Efi and either the Honda motor I have or a 24hp predator. I still need it to be a civilized golf cart for then the kids use it. I made a pretty easy “governor” of sorts with just a flip of a locking lever.
    Back to carb issue:
    Is your choke fully closing? When you say cold, how cold outside?

Phl218 likes this.
  16. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Best stuff I ever found was Yamalube carburetor cleaner dip.

17. Mran556

Yea choke is closing to my knowledge. Its all cleaned and lubed with premix at this point. Temp is 50f to 60f today and yesterday. I didnt have the time to play with it much today. My kid road it for a little while. It did not want to start cold. I closed the fuel mixture screw half a turn. It started cold with no choke but i had to open the throttle a little till it warmed up. I noticed in 1st gear the idle was fine when it goes into neutral the idles threw the roof. No load on engine im assuming, 1st has the autoclutch thing. To me it seemed to bog off idle when you accelerate.

18. Mran556

Ill play with it a little more tomorrow its hard to tell cold becouse i dont know what adjustments to make. If it starts hard a few more times cold ill put the float back to where the last guy had it and see how that works. Im also going to stop making so many adjustments ill get a base line and make some notes. PO had the float about 4.5mm lower which seems like Lot? I dont know how much leaner that would make it

19. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

FYI I use the small E guitar strings to clean out passages in carbs. They are even nice enough to put the thickness on packaging.

pfhenry likes this.
  20. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

This may be one of the best threads I’ve ever read. It’s got every crazy feature of the Beeb, discussion of the OP’s question mixed with guys insulting each other, a couple guy’s “do this” and others saying “whatever you do don’t do this,” guys cussing out modern gas, talk of what a Preparation H label says, drag racing golf carts, yuppies, just wow.