1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car purchase fraud issue.....what's next course of action

Discussion in 'General' started by Rico888, Jul 24, 2021.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This is what makes or breaks it. Hoping it goes in his favor

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This is what makes or breaks it. Hoping it goes in his favor

3. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I’ll answer all your questions when I get back to the house…
    Thanks all!!

in the meantime…
    This was his ad that I had screen captured so I could call him on the road while driving to my meeting…clearly states 125K perfect condition….

Will have other data to add when I get home….
    Thanks again to all of you for the help…
    E5C99BAD-352D-4803-BE42-CB3455D9F2A2.jpeg

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Well, your first mistake was using craigslist.

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  5. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Theres the problem...Inglewood..up to no good.
    I feel for you man, I almost bit on a Wrangler this spring with a similar situation. Price was good but not too good to be true, but I ran a report the day before I was going to pick it up anyway. Came up with an odometer discrepancy that the seller couldn't explain. No thanks bud.

6. Rico888

Looks as if a new title was issued....no mileage listed on Ca. pink and no stated mileage on release portion of Ca. pink slip.

. IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

7. Rico888

"not actual mileage" box was not checked off on the pink

8. Rico888

IMG_4981.jpg

"Odometer reading is not the actual mileage" box is not checked off

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Where was the truck purchased? I would be in contact with a detective or county criminal investigation division/auto theft.

10. Rico888

Purchased in Los Angeles area....Inglewood to be exact....near LAX
    Would you suggest I look to connect with Los Angeles criminal investigation division/auto theft or the Inglewood PD?

11. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

What's the difference in price between a 125 and a 350k machine? Just curious, a friend has a 93 Toyota landcruiser diesel thats just clocked 850,000 miles. Looks mint still but to be fair its on the road all day, he does routine oil changes but so far no engine or transmission work. Just ancillary stuff, discs, steering components etc.

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That's a 3 million mile machine if you do maintenance regularly and don't mind stupid shit like door locks 3 times a year.

13. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

They hold their value, another friend sold his for more that he paid for it 10 years ago, down here in NZ they still go for 15-20k for that model. I asked why, apparently its the build quality, simplicity, practicality and durability. They haven't really improved that much over the years.

14. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

While true, the mileage isn’t filled in either so I’m sure they would claim ignorance and if presented with data, would say “oh yeah, I just listed the mileage from the dash in the ad, I have no idea what the true mileage is, that’s why I didn’t fill that part in”

Also, I wouldn’t modify that block after the signature just in case the thought crossed your mind. It crossed mine and then thought it puts you on the wrong side of the issue.

Do you want him to buy the car back, give you a few hundred rebate, or just keep it and have a lesson learned? Depending on your desire, you’ll have to decide how far you want to take it. Good luck.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  16. Rico888

ideal scene in order of preference:
    1. I get my money back and move on.
    2. He refunds $ to bring cost of purchase with the high miles to market pricing…roughly $3K for this vehicle.
    3. I turn to law enforcement, dmv fraud division, and my attorney…

17. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

What it comes down to, is how easy is it to recover losses via the law etc vs just cutting them and moving on. The OP just needs to explore the legal path, I have been down that route in the past and while you may have the law on your side actually getting any money may prove a lot harder in reality.

Putting the obvious dishonesty aside, what are we talking 6500 vs 3500? so there's the unrealised loss of 3k. The 6500 is spent and gone as it would be if the odo was 125, does the truck run ok? If the vehicle works out as good transportation for say 2 years then over time the loss is less horrible. Is the OP using this for work, then the losses are tax deductible.

Just trying to be practical here.

18. Rico888

Have no idea what that means as I’m not familiar with Inglewood…
    To me that’s just where the car was located…pretty simple actually.

19. Rico888

I hear you….just really hate to let this type of behavior slide…

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:

I’ve been in your shoes.

My question is if the seller doesn’t cave into your demands, how much time, energy and money are you willling put into this unscrupulous individual?
    It ain’t easy to walk away when you wanna kick a baby. :mad: