1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car insurance won't pay out

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jun 9, 2022.

1. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

If the at fault driver is subjected to more damages because of the hitch they hit, still on them in my eyes. Sorry about their luck, pay attention and don't run into other drivers.

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Good point. Don’t know. I’d probably still call my insurance company and say the other person was trying to place blame and get compensated, at least put them between you and the other insurance company in some way. If you have uninsured motorist coverage and she has no insurance they’d have to pay too.

In California at least it’s easy and cheap to file small claims suits under $10,000. If they won’t pay up, just pay the filing fee and sue the lady and her insurance company.

3. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

All
    All well and good but in NY if the cops show up to that accident I would say there is a better than even chance you walk away with a ticket in that case. Not something I agree with, just the way it is.

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

As requested previously, I'd love to see someone actually cite a law in NY that says that. Maybe if it's obstructing your license plate and they cite you for that, which is totally different.

R1M370 likes this.
  5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

There is no law about idle hitch, if hitch obstructs view of plate it is a violation.

"There are plenty of rumors about people getting pulled over for their trailer hitches but the truth is, as far as New York State is concerned, there is no violation on the books for having an idle hitch attached to the receiver of your vehicle.Dec 20, 2021"

zx6rfool likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ive been considering obtaining a dashcam but didnt know where to start. What are you using?

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I've really liked my falcon zero f170 but they quit making it. I found a used one on flea bay about a year ago, but when it quits I'll have to suck it up and ask the beeb for suggestions.

speedluvn likes this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My cam worked great for me a couple of weeks ago. I guy tried a far left lane dive bomb the exit on my right. You can see him slowing and changing lanes in the film and see the camera shake on the impact.

I also have a rear view camera which, based on the details, would have proven who was at fault.

Cameras have about a 160 degree field of view.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I use this with a rear camera added on.

https://nextbase.com/dash-cams/622gw-dash-cam/

I will say everyone with a camera needs to check the videos from time to time and clean out old ones. My camera locks vids when it thinks there's an impact. With the roads here in Atlanta it's always locking files. It took me 15 minutes to find the right files for the incident to show the officers.

speedluvn likes this.
  10. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I was also told by USAA (auto insurance) that this was the case and that damage payouts to my vehicle and to the other drivers vehicle would be reduced or eliminated as a result. Not sure if I was living in NY, NJ or GA at the time. Below example is CA. Don't care to research further.

https://www.tomfowlerlaw.com/post/illegal-to-drive-with-a-hitch

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no rule. Alway call the cops.

hotnail likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just remember, if you're at fault, the camera is broken...memory was full...was turned off.

sharkattack likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I have a couple of Garmin 1080P cameras, can’t recall the exact model. Take up to a 256GB flash card, which gives me about 48hrs of constant recording.

Being Garmin, they have GPS and record the exact time and lat/long of where you’re at. I wouldn’t buy one that doesn’t do that.

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

This. A female coworker was involved in a slight fender bender (not her fault; she got hit by someone not stopping at a stop sign) and wanted to call the cops. The other driver said it wasn't necessary and they could settle it amongst themselves. Her spidey-sense was tingling so she called anyway. That's when the guy went ballistic and started yelling, approaching her aggressively, etc. The cops came and wrote the report and cited him for several things.
    Always call the cops if you're in an accident.

16. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

file the claim with your insurance company, if it was the other drivers fault theyll chase her down

17. auminer

Every day when I get home I download the contents of the SD card. I have 32 folders on my external hard drive labeled 1 through 31 and 'save'. Tonight when I get home I will empty the existing folder #9 and put today's footage in it. That way I have at least the last month of every minute of my day in case someone tries to say I hit them last week or something. Plus it really helps when I field a driving complaint on myself in the company truck. :D

"OH, yeah... You were the guy in the red jeep license plate WNZ 1158 that brake checked our company truck in the center lane of eastbound Park Blvd at 11:52:27. Right?"

Crickets...

18. auminer

19. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

FYI, if you read more you can see the above is in reference to Minnesota. Scroll down more and you will see this:

Is it Illegal to Drive with a Trailer Hitch in California?

Unlike other states, driving with a trailer hitch in California is against the law, just like running a stop sign or driving while using a cell phone is illegal.

20. auminer

Ahhh... Yep. That's a shittily designed page there. :crackup:

Anyway, so it's illegal in Kalifornistan. Color me shocked. Anyone in that state that has a vehicle with a trailer hitch would be well served to attach a trailer, load their shit on it, and drive east.

But not to Texas. We're full. Try Iowa. Or Georgia.