1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Guys : Tire Pressure Sensor Question

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Oct 27, 2017.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

2017 Ford Transit Connect.
    Have OEM Motorcraft Sensors.
    Some info I've found said they do not need to be programmed .
    True or false ? If true, I can install them myself. Otherwise the local shop wants $50 to install & program off the vehicle .

cav115 likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry can't help. I had a wheel sensor go bad and just put black electrical tape over the warning light.

crashman and TLR67 like this.
  3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If I'm just driving around town it does not go off. Once I drive over 15 miles it goes off.
    Does not bother me, but I just took it in for 1st service and put the stock wheels on. So now's the time to put the sensors in the aftermarket wheels.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've got over 200,000 sensor free miles :D Tire gauges still work.

panthercity likes this.
  5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

One that I used when racing finally took a shit. New one is much better :)

tireman likes this.
  6. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I have one that’s constantly on. When it’s cold they turn on. Pressures are fine. Sometimes they’re just a pain in the ass

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Electrical tape. Second in usefulness only to duct tape.

Derick likes this.
  8. They do come in handy though.

I was going down the road and ran over something and it punctured a tire. I immediately got a warning when air pressure started to fall off. I could watch how fast it was falling on the dash as I was hauling ass to the tire place.

I didn’t hear it puncture. Had it not been for the sensors, I would have went on home, then came out later to a flatass tire.

This way I was able to judge the psi drop rate vs my travel time to the shop and I just made it. It had fell from 42 to 18psi in the 6-7mins it took me to go straight there. Had I not immediately gotten the alarm when pressure started falling, I wouldn’t have know and/or had time to make it.

Of course I could have survived without it. I would have just needed to install the spare and go get it fixed. So it isn’t life or death, but it’s a hell of a lot easier.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A young man I work with went once step further. He disassembled the dash and removed the LED. No tape residue to deal with later.

Shenanigans likes this.
  10. Venom51

Oh the horror of having to put the spare on yourself instead of having someone else do all the work on it. :D

Shenanigans and Odilup like this.
  11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Seems like a lot more work than just fixing the problem, no?

BigBird likes this.
  12. I know right. :D

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Shouldn't it be covered under warranty?

cha0s#242 likes this.
  14. Venom51

That's what I said but he responded just like Acree. He'd just check his tire pressure the old fashioned way. I did leave out that fact the this "young man" is 60 years old.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Try googling "how to install tpms ford transit 2017".
    A Youtube link appears and it should solve your problem.
    Or even better, have it done under warranty as mentionned above.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Note that he mentioned that this is for aftermarket wheels.

BigBird and G Dawg like this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At 238,000 miles on the Sienna, I don't think tape residue is gonna kill my resale value. :D

Shenanigans likes this.
  18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

My brother has a new Honda and needed a tire. The local shop put the exact replacement on it (however not OEM). The sensor kept going off. After talking with multiple people at Honda, apparently the new sensor not only measures PSI, but measures tire rotations. The non OEM replacement tire rotated something like 15 revolutions less than the OEM tire per mile and set off the sensor. Put OEM tire on and fixed the problem. Far too much BS tech in new cars.

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Aftermarket wheels

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WD40 will take off the residue and nut hurt the plastic gauge face :D