1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car for track days

Discussion in 'General' started by TWF2, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Badmeat

Badmeat Well-Known Member

s2000's are already pretty decent handling cars from the factory. They have the reliability of Honda, and put out decent power as is. Throw a headgasket, stronger clutch, and a turbo kit on them, and you will see 400+ whp that is pretty reliable (some guys running 500-600 whp with no issues)....Thanks to the OE forged internals in the F20. The drivetrain is also able to hold up to the abuse, for the most part.
    I would love to build a 450whp road course monster, with suspension (springs/struts/sways) for $15k.

2. Least expensive car for parts/maintenance that'll really teach you how to drive? E30 325/328. There are usually a few good track ready ones for under $10,000. Also, I just saw a Panoz(Ford 302-8, great brakes, full cage - used at the RA track school and club racing) totally track only car for $14,000 in the For Sale ads in Chin Motorsports. Check Chin, NASA, Hooked on Driving, PBSOC websites for guys getting out of their cars - alot like buying a track ready WERA bike.

3. Just saw this posted on my local track's face book page.

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Found a pick of my brother rockin the CRX
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

Evo 8's make good cheap track cars

6. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

Two of my friends with s2000s have gone through 3 transmissions each, broken axles, etc. The drivetrain is poop sauce, considering the motor makes only like 150 ft-lbs of torque lol. Still an AWESOME car to drive however. Probably the most enjoyable car to drive under 40 grand.

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

8. Dizzle

Dizzle Well-Known Member

CRX is an awesome track day car. 5.0 coupe stang. Old niassan SER.

9. Badmeat

Badmeat Well-Known Member

Odd. I know several that have no issues. One has stock compression and is running about 7 lbs of boost. Runs mid 12's around 110-ish.

10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

My buddy has a 350z track car. Surprised no one has mentioned one of these.

Attached Files:

• 350.jpg
      350.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
  11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

:Poke: Spec Boxster

12. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

13. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

My brother-in-law has a little Beemer roadster as a track day car. He says they're great cars, but after market parts can get pricey (he makes good money so it doesn't matter to him). He also said most domestics are pretty cheap when it comes to aftermarket parts. I.E. Mustangs, Corvettes, etc.....

14. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Screw Spec Miata!

GTPinto! LOL!
    http://georgecallender.tripod.com/pintopageone.html

Pintos with a 2.3 used to run in the GT3 class. The few I saw over the years when I raced SCCA were junk yard specials, but I actually thought they had some potential. I think it would be hillarious to go by the track day guys in high $$$$ cars in a beat up Pinto. Don't forget the flames on the rear when you are painting it.

I'd stay away from the FWD cars personally-not as much fun.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I do miss my little C-Rex. A little boost made those things fun as hell to drive.

17. TWF2

After doing track day I gave up on miata, mostly because it may be to slow. They were getting in my way :)
    I just bought this one. Hopefully it will go ok so I don't have to bolt V8 in there.

Attached Files:

18. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Are you an attorney? ;)

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's not a Ferrari.

20. TWF2

Color is close :).