1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car for track days

Discussion in 'General' started by TWF2, Mar 10, 2012.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

"Pooosh Pedal Fahking Poosey" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

2. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Mini Cooper S

3. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Cobalt SS.. one of the fastest FWD cars around VIR (the turbo one).

4. konaunit1

konaunit1 Studdering thread killer

Why not find a used race car, say an older formula Vee? I bought one ready to go for 3200 with everything ready to race.

Kind of like buying a streetbike to turn into a racer versus just buying a race bike ready to go.

The formula Vee is cheap (1200cc VW motor) Cheap on tires faster than a miata, more fun ( a lot more G's) easy to find parts. And it makes you feel like a real racer!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1217/1356189479_2f000b96b4.jpg

:beer:

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I see track prepped miatas, old lotus/caterhams/etc (kit cars), and more on the bulletin boards at tracks all the time. If it's just a track car you're looking for, just like a race bike, one that's already prepped will be the best bang for your buck.

And +1 on the carts. Those things look like a riot. They'd be a lot more of a rush than a regular car, almost like a bike. I bet the sensation of speed is unreal when you're that close to the ground.

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

My brother is in carts, I drove it around track and it was not kind to my 51 year old body :). I am burned out with bikes, been racing full time since 1989 and doing 20+ track days a year in last 8 years. I think I will give one of this miata's or similar shot and see how I like it. Miata sounds like good car to start with and see where it goes from there. Thanks guys.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

When I 'retired' from racin' bikes, I built this all-wheel-drive turbo Eclipse. TONS of fun!

[​IMG]

8. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Classic Example

Of having way too much money floating around - gotta start at the top, right?!!

The best responses here are Miata and FV. Stone reliable and a lot of fun.
    If someone had a buch of bike racing experience I might even suggest a winged formula car like a Formula Mazda (worked for me!). They can be had for mid teens w/ spare wheels and bits in great shape. Spec sealed engines will go for YEARS.

High HP Tin Tops are not that easy to drive very quickly, and in the event of a crash are horribly expensive to repair.
    The huge/wide tires on big HP cars take a while to get heat in 'em, and what usually happens is the new driver tries to hammer it before they are "grip ready", and take an off track excursion.

9. Scottyspeed

Scottyspeed Member

I to have retired from motorcycles. My first track car was a 90 5.0 mustang caged good suspension brakes etc,but i soon tired of going threw tires and brakes and wanting to go faster I had spent around $15000 on the car. I now have a 03 Ford Taurus Nascar stock car
    set up for road racing . It has been far cheeper to run and fix than the mustang for example tires cost around $150 a set for NASCAR take offs they usually have around 7-15 laps on them when I get them and can go a full weekend. Brakes and other parts I get from www.roushyatesparts.com .Their are plenty of cars out their for around $20000 you just have to look. Bang for the buck its hard to beat a stock car that are fast and safe and cheep to fix and maintain .Mine is around 750 rwhp and can run on pump gas and a blast to drive. Also a good conversation piece.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

If I recall correctly, at one point the fastest lap ever turned at Summit was in a shifter kart. Is that still the case?

11. ecf

ecf Well-Known Member

How about an old VW :)

You can save on tires in the turns (Road A, turn 6).

[​IMG]

Or when going over the curb (Road A, turn 3)

[​IMG]

12. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

13. SV Ray

SV Ray Grandpa Ray

Like others have said track day in a car is like 1/10th of track days on a motorcycle (and 1/50th of racing a motorcycle). I raced Karts and they tore my body up even when in my 30's. Had a 96 Mustang Cobra daily driver I did track days in and it was awesome. I had performance friction brake pads with life time warrantee - would pick up a set on Thursday and return them Monday worn out. Would use the tires that were worn down too much for the street. Very cheap way to go as I did about 3-4 a year.

I have a Roush Stage 3 Mustang and once a year we do a track day with the Roush owners group. It is so boring compared to motorcycles that I let my son drive the car.

Most track days in cars only allow passing on the longest straight - the car in front gets blue flagged to move over if a faster car is behind them. If you can trailer then buying a old race car would be the best. Some car clubs don't allow open wheel cars so you need to see where you want to run and what rules the car clubs that you want to run with have.

Old Miata, Mustang, Porshe 944 are good choices

14. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

15. TWF2

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]

I still say forget the miata and get a 4 banger that can wheelie out of a turn, on dirt, at 60mph. That is fun.

17. TWF2

I can put mexican hydraulics on miata, change tires and go for desert run. Plenty desert around me :)

18. Badmeat

Badmeat Well-Known Member

What's the price range for this? I don't think I saw it anywhere in the OP.

As far as sub-$10k - s2000, brake pads, sticky tires.

19. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Didn't see it mentioned, but the early years Miatas had crank problems.

Come to think of it, it really IS the SV of cars!

20. TWF2

Yea, s2000 is on short list. There is no budget, I can afford either one or better but don't want to dump to much money in it or have to work on it all the time. Already have MB and BMW to dump money in.
    Goal is to go out and have fun without wrenching on it all the time and see if I like this.