1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car for track days

Discussion in 'General' started by TWF2, Mar 10, 2012.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

A Yugo. That would screw with all those snootie bastards. Or a Smart Diablo. That is what I would have.

2. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

I did a track day with my 95' Miata a few years ago, was a lot of fun. Put sticky Hoosiers on it, Koni shocks and Hawk brake pads which made the thing have more braking power than anything I've ever driven. I had about a dozen or so track days under my belt with the bikes so I was very familiar with Putnam Park. Yup, I got smoked down the straight but I was passing a good majority in the corners, damn those Hoosiers stuck! Car was stock 95ish HP and I was turning 1:26's IIRC. I used to turn 1:20's on my old CBR900RR so that little Miata had to be carrying some decent cornering speed.

At the end of the day, honestly, it was about half the adrenaline rush of a bike track day. (IMO) Dare I call it somewhat relaxing? Don't get me wrong, it was a blast just not the rush that I got from a bike track day. (and probably 1/4th the workout)

ps: A bunch of local Miata guys have gone the forced induction route on their Miata's. Let's just say it's a huge pain in the ass, expensive and from what I've seen very unreliable for the gains you get. If you want HP in a Miata, drop a 302 in one and call it done. You'll spend some coin going that route though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

A friend of mine uses rental cars. He tips the counter people a bit to get a sporty one, then hammers the crap out of it.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

:) That thing flexes more than EX500. You never know which wheel will enter corner first.

5. JT252

JT252 Well-Known Member

e36 or 944........a honda or miata will work well too.

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

E30 BMW 318 or 325i. Great handling, reliable and plenty of things to hop up.

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

All the teenage racers around here drive their mom's Civics, so that is probably the best way to go.

8. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

9. AT7driver

AT7driver Well-Known Member

E30 325is, 1994-1999 miata or 1985.5 or later 944. Used to race and autocross these great cars and plenty of support. Series for spec e30 and 944 if u want to race.

10. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

i'm surprised by the unreliability since that motor was originally designed for forced-induction in the 323gtx:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/323BuyersGuide.htm

11. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I just picked up a miata super cheap so I could build one of these. Going to use it for track and occasional commute to work.

http://exomotive.com/exocet/

12. GA_SVS

GA_SVS Define "normal"

This is disappointing

I'm hoping there is more ;) than truth to that statement

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Miata.

Want to work your ass off, RX8 (or if you can find one, an RX7).

Vintage (and tear the guts out of credit card drivers) Datsun 510 (if you can find one).

14. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, honestly, it was about half the adrenaline rush of a bike track day. (IMO) Dare I call it somewhat relaxing? Don't get me wrong, it was a blast just not the rush that I got from a bike track day. (and probably 1/4th the workout)

Totally agree.Thought I needed to retire from bikes,went out and bought a 02 911 turbo (these things are in the 40k range for a decent one).Put better suspension,brakes on it,decent tires,bigger turbos,upped the boost.A 500hp,200mph supercar should be enough right ? wrong-its ok but nowhere near as much fun as a bike.Lap times within 10 secounds of bike pace,race rubber would half that.Keeping the car,but bikes for me on the track.Just my experience.Still want a car,probably need a race prepped one to be any fun, miata's are cheap & plentifull,but underpowered.Race prepped mustangs are close as well.Single seaters would be some serious fun,but some trackdays orgs might not allow them,and you would need to make your way to an advanced run group to even get on the the track.Double duty car-vette,911 & 911tt,mustang,evo,gtr,wrx,m3,rx7 to name a few

15. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

C5 Vette.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

my brother drove the shit out of an old integra, Now he uses a Honda Civic. He says parts are cheap, tires are cheap, Easy to fix. He ran a miata for a bit, but it was expensive.

he could get a Civic around Barber faster than other folks could get mustangs and Vetts.

kind of like a SV beating a 1k bike

He also runs a Neon.

It all just depends on the class you want to run and can afford.

He was/ is a driving coach and Co founded the Honda Challenge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Challenge

Look around SCCA boards and find the class you want to run and choose from that.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

1974 Plymouth Fury Police Package. cop shocks cop brakes cop motor.....

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Go with a 94-96 Miata. Engine size went up in 94, cars were lighter, reliable and easy to work on. Some came with a Torsen differential (M edition and some other versions too). The Torsen diff is good but if you get a Miata without one, people swap in the later 6-speed transmissions, rear ends and other stuff too. Bang for the buck, I think the Miata wins out over the bigger engine options being listed.

19. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

What about karts? 125 shifters are ALOT of fun and you can roadrace one,but it is a bit hard on the engine.A 250 superkart is even more fun, prob. the cheapest Fast 4 wheeler out there (135-140 mph ICE singles,150+ twins).All under 10k

20. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

ariel atom