1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car audio - new unit recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Jun 6, 2018.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I haven’t bought aftermarket car audio in 20 years. I’m looking for:

- user friendly/techno idtio proof
    - Bluetooth streaming for music and Netflix audio
    - iPhone compatible
    - good for phone conversations
    - good power for new door speakers
    - under $400

Been looking on Crutchfield and that’s where Ill purchase. Figured you guys would give me the best feedback and opinions.

Vehicle is a 2012 Chevy 2500 crewcab. Does not have the factory navigation.

Whatcha got?

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

If I’m streaming video, does it play the audio?

4. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Yep. The unit I had could do that via bluetooth or carplay (has to be plugged in).

... or you could just plug the phone / tablet in with an HDMI converter and the content is on the head unit... if that's your bag.

pjzocc likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

there are a few "android" based units that are nice. Not the marquis names like Kenwood or Pioneer.
    Neat stuff... you can bluetooth just about anything to it (like TPMS or Torque) and add apps just like your phone!
    You can stream video and music just like your phone. Have upto 5 cameras, etc.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Some of the Sony (Android systems) had reviews of klunky iOS interfacing. Any experience?

7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Yes, If you want video you need the other model with the HDMI, I just got the Pioneer MVH-2300NEX and love it.
    Phone connection is way better than my Kenwood as is voice text/commands, Apple car play is nice and the unit is mostly idiot proof once setup.
    Powering 6- 5 1/4's thru the factory porsche amp.

pjzocc likes this.
  8. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

pjzocc likes this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

New iOS (12) will enable 3rd party apps like Waze to display through CarPlay. Finally....

10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

LOVE Waze!

So, does it screen mirror or do you utilize the app on the unit itself?

11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I assume you interact with the app on the radio just like with Apple maps. I just read about that new update for iOS so I didn’t research much more.

pjzocc likes this.
  13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Yes, carplay has limited apps that are allowed to run on the head unit, but you interact with the application directly on the headunit, or via voice commands.

pjzocc likes this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I have put off buying a head unit for years for my beater DD...recently dropped the coin to get a Pioneer 3300NEX. Does everything you're asking for and more. My only complaint is why I waited so long to get it. Not sure if your vehicle allows for a double din, but mine is single only with no option to fit a double din unless you went 100% custom. As of today, the 3300 is the only head unit that offers both Apple carplay and Android auto (or whatever they call it) in a single din unit. The screen is responsive to touch, a 100x better than the old ass one I had. The HU itself has more audio adjustments than I ever thought possible.

"Using" your phone through the HU is the coolest fucking thing ever. It reads texts to me, you can reply back using the mic, etc. It's awesome. I had a bit of heart burn when I finally bought it, wondering why I spent so much money for it (it did cost a set of tires...), but after the first time I used it, I didn't care. 100% worth it. I use the Amazon music app and it has a fantastic interface, easy to look through artists/albums/etc.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I have the Pioneer 2440NEX and I agree, these things are cool. Dictating destinations, text messages is awesome. I pulled the trigger b/c of the upcoming hands free laws in GA.

16. Wheel Bearing

Cool thing about the Apple car play, you can use Siri (through HU of course) and be like "Give me directions to Road Atlanta", and it'll automatically pull up maps and give the driving route and such right there on the screen. There's a home button and everything on the screen. This technology has definitely brought out my inner Broome, and I'm loving the tech upgrades.

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Where does the USB cord plug into on these aftermarket head units with carplay? My finacee's VW has a USB port in the console that connects to the stereo, but I'm not seeing a face port on any of these units.

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’m assuming that neither CarPlay nor android auto allow video playback on screen, right? As in Netflix, YouTube etc...

20. Wheel Bearing

USB on back of head unit that you route to where ever you want it, then plug in phone cord into that.