1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can this be patched or plugged?

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, Feb 16, 2019.

1. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Brand new Terra Grappler gets a nice gift. Is this repairable or do I have to suck it up andbuy a new one? This tire has about 1000 miles on it.

FB_IMG_1550354165110.jpg

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Patch I would think.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a plug would work if you didnt want to dismount the tire.

4. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I've taken out a few screws and nails out of the crappy Firestones on my truck and they hold air with no issues.

5. njracer

Tried to unscrew it and it leaks so it has to be fixed.

6. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Back in the day when I worked in a tire shop, that was considered not repairable. Not sure if anything changes in the past 20 years though...

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Plug it with some extra rubber cement. Then rotate it to a rear position.

8. njracer

That's what I'm worried about. I kind of remember that it had to be an inch or two from the sidewall to patch/plug.

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I'd plug that with no worries.

sdg, joec, K51000 and 5 others like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Being right on the edge would raise belt damage concerns for me. Do you carry a spare? This would be my new spare.
    If you're gonna "fix" it, do it right, from the inside. Then, as said, mount it on the rear only, rotate side-to-side, with the front tires in a rotation with the "good" rear.

Michelin woulda replaced it free. :Poke::D

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Patching is always preferred over plugging, I would patch it and drive it.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Good patch and on the back.

Most tire shops are done with plugs regardless of where the puncture is.

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If it was mine Inwould patch it from the inside.
    Most tire shops want to use a plug patch but they are too stupid to get that making the hole bigger to get the plug through damages the tire more than the screw did...

If it was a cheap
    Tire or worn half way out I would just plug it.....

pefrey likes this.
  14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

as you mention most shops will not plug/repair anything that's within 1-2" of the sidewall.

you can plug it yourself and see how it holds air, as others said, move it to the rear just in case and maybe see if you can remove it and patch from the inside.

given the angle I'd doubt if it tore up the sidewall, but hard to tell from the outside. :)

or just replace it and be safe. I replaced two front tires recently (275/40/20) as one blew the sidewall, and I wanted them both to be the same treadwear (they were about 2/3 worn but one side had a bulge on the sidewall).

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Leave the screw in it and put air in it every 3 days like I have on my Frontier for the past 3 years.

16. njracer

This tire is brand new....less than 1000mi on it.

Really don't want to buy a new one but I just might have to. Sucks as this is the 1st time I've had any kind of a tire issue on the Suburban for over 100k.

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Just screw that sucker in there.

Gino230 and K51000 like this.
  18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I would have no issues with patching it from the inside and just treating it like any other tire if the internal sidewall was not damaged.

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That's an easy plug. Would outlast the tire.

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I've been repairing tires for over 40 years. I'd plug it without hesitation.

K51000, Metalhead and njracer like this.