1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can lexan be polished

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Apr 15, 2020.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I have a Skid Steer with ballistic glass on the door. It's scratched up so bad if you are operating the machine facing the sun you can barely see out of it.

Can the scratches be buffed out of Lexan?

:beer:

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Headlight restoration kit works

3. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

yeah, it's like polishing crazed headlights on a car. You can wetsand with 1200 grit, finish with 2000 and then polish with a increasingly finer compound with a buffing wheel. Have to do this to one of our workboats periodically.

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

If it is only on the surface you can polish it to look like glass. If it is actual safety glass with layers and the distortion is internal, which can happen, then there isn't much of a fix.

5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Just take the door off

MachineR1 and sdg like this.
  6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Will the torch polish trick work on lexan like it does on an acrylic?
    I know a torch will smooth out a fresh cut edge on acrylic like a champ.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's 3/4" thick. Tried the heat gun for a minute then gave up. Can't remove the door........Cab has a/c and it will keep you from getting impaled while the mulching head is running.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's layered but I think it's all external.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Can a random orbitol palm sander be used before the buffer?

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I would think any plastic polish would help...even if it's not distortion free you would still be better off.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Novus 3, 2 and 1 with a buffer is what we used back in the day

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

. Wet sand the scratch out with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. At this point the area will be very foggy.
    2. Rub in some Novus #2 until the area clears up. This might take more than one application. There will still be just a little fogginess left.
    3. Polish out the remaining fogginess with Novus #1

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Instead of a heat gun use a propane torch. If there is any clear coat finish on it you will know immediately, and then you can progress to wet sand.

14. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

For a quick temporary fix. Hit it with some lubricant like wd40.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'd be careful of using this approach. You are concentrating heat in a small area this way and if you overheat it gas bubbles will form in the plastic and there's no going back. Ask me how I know ;)

This can also happen with a heat gun.

16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

This is worth a try. I've used this a lot of windscreens on bikes over the years. Different color bottles, I know I had blue and red bottles, probably 2 and 1 or something like that. Took scratches and marks off big screens like on a Road King very well.

17. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

18. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member