1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a PC3 cause starting issues?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by socalrider, Apr 4, 2010.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Back in October 09 i lowsided my then street bike (07 gsxr 750) and decided rather than repair for street duty it i would turn it track only. i had been converting it to trackday use on a weekend basis only. so i bought bodywork and stripped the bike of all the lights and required street items. i couldnt get the engine to fire, but i figured i would deal with that later. a few weeks ago it became "later". :D previously, the bike had a PC3 installed and mapped to the current configuration.

after trying for the last week to find out why i could turn the engine over, but not fire, i got it running today. i checked spark, compression, fuel, and had all three. no fire. so i disconnected the injector plugs from the PC3. still nothing. finally, disconnected the splice into the TPS wire that is required for the power commander, and she fired up first try.

my question is, with the power commander disconnected from the injectors, why would having the TPS wire splice intact prevent the bike from firing?

and secondly, does anyone think the PC3 is still good? (ie, should i attempt to sell it and get a new one, or trash it and get a new one?)

Thanks in advance.

2. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

I'd say your PC3 is messed up. If it were my bike I'd see if I can borrow one from someone to check it out or just replace it and upgrade to a PCV w/autotune and see if it works. If a new PC works, I'd say yours got messed up when you lowsided. If it doesn't, send the new PC my way and then go after the TPS. :up:

3. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

I just had that problem after my computer died, while updating the firmware on my PC3.
    Call Dynojet, their customer service helped me out considerably.

4. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

It happened to me on a cbr 1k. If I installed a map having the pc3 installed on the bike it would have a tough time starting. If I installed the map with the pc3 off the bike or not on it wouldnt have any issues starting. I think it had something to do with the power commander getting power from the bike rather then the battery that connects to the pc3 its self.

5. socalrider

nice try deb. :crackup: how about i send you this one and see if it works on your bike??? if you ever install that exhaust you have stashed and a filter the map should be almost perfect....

im going to try to pull my custom map off the PC3 and save it on the computer, then i may re-install and see if the problem exists.

ill also call dynojet as garrison suggested, it cant hurt. thanks for the help. :up:

6. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Based upon your post Id say it was your tipover switch before i thought Power commander.

Either that or something like the vacuum line to the manifold air pressure sensor was unplugged.

7. socalrider

i checked TOS, side stand switch, and all hoses weeks ago. been experiencing the same symptom for a couple weeks untill unpluging the PC3... also, at the time i got it started, i had the airbox off and was looking into the throttle bodies. i had tried spraying carb cleaner directly in thinking i may have a fueling issue.

8. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

There is a way you can "reboot" the PC3 to factory specs. When I first got my salvage 05 R6 it wouldn't run worth a f@ck with the PC3 on it (It would start, just not run well). I called Dynojet and they led me through the keystokes to reboot. After doing that and loading a pre-config map for my exhaust, its run fine since (3 years)

9. socalrider

Thanks, I am going to call them tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted out, I would like to keep the map.