1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camera for trackdays with data

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Im still a beginner on the track but would like to track some data to see where i am making improvement, braking etc,, anything decent or should i just go with a go pro and worry about data later.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Focus on your riding, especially trying to be consistent and smooth. You'll be making improvements hand-over-fist in the beginning, and telemetry is going to be all over the place. You'll just be chasing your tail.

When you're starting to chase tenths and can string together 6-8 laps within a second of each other, then maybe you can start analyzing data and get something out of it.....

ajcjr, lazlo, Prospect and 3 others like this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Forget the camera and get 1 on 1 coaching. The investment in a day with Geoff May or DiSalvo will be much more beneficial than any camera or software for years.

ajcjr likes this.
  4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Work on trail braking. I mean real trail braking; carrying brakes through to the actual apex or just after using the brake to orient the nose on your exit.

1 on 1 coaching will help.

ajcjr likes this.
  5. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Aim Solo! If you aren’t within 5 seconds of the track record just convince yourself that no one loves you and just pin it.

I seriousness what’s been said is good advice but personally lap timers are a tool, especially ones that do split times.

6. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I have to agree that data is good even as a beginner. Not simple lap times so much since that doesn't tell you WHERE you need to be faster, but having the GPS data with speed at each corner and straight was very helpful. I compared my lap at NJMP Thunderbolt with someone much faster than me (see Aaron Yates GPS data video on YouTube) to see which corners were most dramatically slower and worked on those. I dropped 5 seconds by focusing on two corners. I was also able to measure my own improvements in specific corners.

You could argue I'd learn the same thing following somebody faster on track, but that didn't always work well for me. Sometimes it did, but the faster rider usually just rode away from me and I didn't see them for more than two corners, or I'd get stuck in traffic and couldn't follow.

ajcjr likes this.
  7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I had one from Garmin. It did data overlays and track mapping. You could even set up splits on it.

8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I wouldn't go with a GoPro from your original statement. Video isn't going to do anything to tell you how fast or slow you are going.

If you just want something to track lap times, grab a cheap smartphone, velcro it and some on the bike somewhere, and run one of the track apps. I'd recommend putting it somewhere where you can't stare at the screen. You should have a fair idea of where you can improve at the novice level, so just focus on a few things at a time.

What tracks are you planning on riding this season?

9. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Yoshi you must not be up up data on GoPro. They have data acquisition and it's very simple with Dashware.

I suggest a GoPro.

racerx13 and ajcjr like this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The only video that would be good IMO would be on the bike following you. I did some 1 on 1with Brian Stokes with DiSalvo and I dropped 2 seconds at CMP in just 1 section. It’s not just where you are it’s what your doing there..So many things you can’t see that can hurt your speed.